Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on a show once, a guy made cabinet scrapers from old hand saw's. I have a few old saw's that I want to try it on. I'm having a hard time ruining the old saw's. Has anyone ever tried it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bigredc - those look great.
I made a scraper from one of those paint edgers. Works great as it already has a plastic handle to hold on to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does anyone know of any uses for old worn out 7-1/4" circular saw blades? I have a bunch I've been saving, because I figured the steel would be good for something, but I haven't found a use yet. Has anyone else?

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
hmm, somewhere in here (another thread) i believe Daren mentioned using them for scrapers or plane blades. they also make great shop decor when you hang them on the wall ;) :thumbsup: ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think of using old table saw for anything. They do seem to be the right thickness for a plane knife. I just threw out 2 or 3 that came with a saw I bought. I've been wanting to make a wooden plane like Daren does but I didn't want to have to buy the iron for it. Darn. I was proud of myself for actually throwing something out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For those who use scrapers regularly, what do you need to put the edge / hook on it?

The catalogs seem to want to make it more complicated than what I suspect it is...to sell expensive tools.

I see these triangular burnishers that they say are the thing to use...but then again Lee Valley or Veritas or Lie-Nielsen or whoever want to charge $$$$$ for what amounts to a piece of HSS...please help. I hate paying big bucks for a tool I could find in the landfill...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what makes those things so
special that lee nelson sells. You can use the shaft of a big screw driver. You could make something like this out of wood and use a drill bit
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could always take those old sawblades, get some clockworks at a hobby shop, and make some shop clocks out of them.

Wiz, the newbie to this forum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts