Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found myself doing more table routing lately and in most cases unable to because of my poor quality router table.

Can you blame me?
old router.jpg
It's an old Craftsman table with a broken leg base, no fence, and missing reducer rings. The router itself is a Craftsman 1.5hp, single speed, with only a 1/4" collet.

My upgrade ended up costing me $730 in total but I am very happy with it. I sprung for the Kreg router table/stand/fence combo plus the Rockler swivel casters. I originally considered mounting the old Craftsman router under it but did not like how it's height was only adjustable from underneath not to mention it's missing 1/2" collet. I ended up selecting a Ridged 2hp fixed base with variable speed. Its above height adjustment was smooth and after spending so much on the table it was about the best I could afford. Mounting it was easy enough with the target pre-drawn on the underside of the insert plate and the t-handle wrench moves it up and down fluidly.

In the future (and when I can afford it) I may consider one of the expensive router lift insert plates. Also the Ready2Rout system was very attractive, and although it has a USB port for updates, I have a gut feeling that there will be a "next generation" coming out eventually similar to the way the CNC Shark has upgraded.

newrout01.jpg
newrout02.jpg
newrout03.jpg

I guess my next shop project will be a respectable cabinet built into the router table stand. I have seen several including the plans offered by Kreg but would rather come up with my own.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Johnny - nice UPGRADE.
FWIW, I experienced about the same. I started with a Craftsman setup similar to yours, upgraded somewhat to a MLCS portable table. When I finally upgraded to a free standing table with a nice router featuring a built in lift, I found my table usage expand exponentially.:yes:

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Apparently Christmas isn't over at your place. Very nice setup. I just upgraded from an old craftsman table, but went with the Bosch bench top version with the aluminum top and new porter cable router. Very happy.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Your new router table has inspired me to get a move on mine.......I don't use my router very often, mostly because the hassle and headaches of my current benchtop model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had one of those same Craftsman tables and it was extremely frustrating to try to use it. I upgraded to the table below and added an Incra lift. Now I look for ways to do things on the router table. It's so much easier to use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm so jealous. I have the porter cable version of your craftsman. I can't afford anything new since I'm just starting out.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Router table build is in the works, just stalled until warmer weather. :icon_sad:

But, just yesterday picked up the spindle adapter for the Grizzly G1035. It adapts the shaper to use 1/4 and 1/2" router bits. Will see how it works out. Also splurged and brought home the G0723 spindle sander. Sucks it's too cold to put them to use yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alchymist said:
Sucks it's too cold to put them to use yet.
I'm with you. I got the jet 17" wood workers drill press, the rikon 14" 10-325 and a pm1000 with a 50 inch fence this winter. Too damn cold to use, but I couldn't pass the sales. Yes I know it's only 1.75hp before anyone says anything. I don't have 220 or the ability to get it since I rent.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so jealous. I have the porter cable version of your craftsman. I can't afford anything new since I'm just starting out.
This is about the nicest piece of woodworking equipment I now own. As a hobbyist, I consider it my first major investment. I'm certain your Porter Cable version is much better than my old rickety Craftsman version. When it came to selecting a router I had to settle on the Ridgid because I could not afford the comparable Porter Cable router. You are starting out a step or two above me.

I have not used it yet because it is too clean and shiny. I'm still enjoying looking at it and rolling it around my basement. It makes my other machines look like junk but it's all a part of the journey;)

As far as the old router and table go...I may sell it on craigslist for $20 or so as that is what comparable set-ups are going for, or I may toss the table and keep the router.

The only feature I plan to get is a remote table switch. I'm looking forward to using SketchUp to design and then build a nice cabinet to fit in the stand. It will house the router inside a vacuum compartment and incorporate a drawer(s) for bits and another for accessories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts