Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I am re-finishing the interior of a 17 year old boat, all brazilian mahogany, below is my interior varnish system, any critiques, comments, ideas are deeply appreciated (no ego here, I want to learn). My limitations are the obvious ones, large spaces, drying time, cost, humidity…etc. I need to keep the interior somewhat light, so I have been using products that darken little with time (no linseed) and are lightfast…..I'm in Brazil and I can only import solids.

I will be posting photos and getting into details of every step, as I get to them, so any comments on my next step are appreciated.

For smaller and more important items my system changes, I use my creativity. This system is for walls and cabinets only.

Old opaque oil varnish removed, wood prepared, sanded up to 180 grit, oxalic acid, distilled water with a little baking soda, sanded with 220 grit.

Sealer:
2 coats - dries overnight (it seems).

I cook 2 parts cold pressed polymerized Tung Oil from Paraguay (lighter colored and less darkening than Chinese, color gardner = 7, RI 1.52) 2 parts Colophony w/w-x let it cool, add 1 part Canada Balsam cool some more add 5 parts turpentine, store.

When ready to use dilute 1 part varnish, 9 parts white spirits. Brush it in. This penetrates deep and enhances the grains+ gives internal reflections.

If anyone would like to cook their own varnish PLEASE research carefully, do it OUTSIDE and have a fire extinguisher at hand and proper protection, please do extensive research before, it can be dangerous, several people have been badly burned before.

Extra blonde de-waxed shellac 1 coat with a rubber 1lb cut. (I'm fast with a rubber+ no sanding necessary)

Extra blonde de-waxed shellac 2lb cut with yellow+gold pigments from Kremer, 2 coats with a rubber. (details on next posts)

Grain Filler: (no decent ones in Brazil, so I cook my own)

I cook 5 parts of an already prepared high quality deck oil (made of the same cold pressed polymerized tung oil from Paraguay + castor oil + modified colophony etc.) with 1 part Colophony w/w-x and turpentine. (following the chemist who makes the deck oil's instructions).
5 ml of cobalt dryer per liter of varnish.
Grind silica finely with varnish.

Color with Kremer's Pearl Luster COLORSTREAM Magic Indian Summer, Isoindole Yellow , Indian Yellow Imitation and Van Dyke Brown.
Thin with white spirits.

Apply with a brush + card + burlap + cheese cloth, as usual.
Dries in 2 to 3 days.

Color
I use shellac, extra blonde or ruby with pigments, bitumen of judea on turps with alizarine crymson for darker woods.
details when I get there.

Varnish:
1 coat of extra blonde de-waxed shellac to seal
2 to 3 coats of (here is where my heart weeps) of Sayerlack 2 part poly, very transparent, lots of gloss.

Before anyone says anything, the reasons for this heresy (2 part poly) are…long lasting gloss (makes her look brighter, larger and more expensive), great humidity protection, long life (it's proven 2 part outlasts 1 part oil in marine environment), easy application, fast drying and when applied with HVLP no need to polish.
Low maintenance - oil varnish needs constant cleaning because a white haze appears above the varnish in humid climates (some walls and cabs every 2 weeks), it does not happen in 2 part poly.
Plus I can not (as far as I know) get a great quality oil varnish in Brazil that would give me this properties.

The parts that receive lots of UV I apply epoxy + poly...details when I get there.

Thanks to anyone who read this far.:smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
we would all love to see some pictures of your finishing. sounds like it would be very beautifull, I have always thought that wooden boats are so beautiful, like furniture that floats! please post some pics if you can.

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1 coat of 1lb cut extra blonde shellac.

2 coats of 2lb cut extra blonde shellac with a mix of Kremer's Isoindole yellow + Indian Yellow imitation + Pearl Luster PYRISMA Yellow + Pearl Luster Colibri IRIODIN® Star-Gold.

Cloudy (but hot) day today, so the colors look a bit darker.
I still need to deal with the stains in the 2 bottom pieces on the 3rd picture, wanted to seal first, I'll darken the light part with ruby shellac....should disappear.
All defects to be puttied I'll take care after the grain filler and 1 coat of shellac.

Wood is sealed.

Attachments

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grain Filler

Colored with Kremer's Pearl Luster COLORSTREAM Magic Indian Summer, Isoindole Yellow , Indian Yellow Imitation and Van Dyke Brown.

I'll post pictures of the pilothouse when the grainfiller is applied.
Thank you:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
very beautiful! you are definately a finishing master, what a transformation from fresh sanded to the last pictures. looking very nice:thumbsup: looking forward to seeing the finished project, thanks for sharing.

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you woodtick greg and rayking49, I'm not a pro finisher, only a sailor finishing a boat, trying to learn, I have learned the little I know mainly trough books and in a violin maker's forum called the Pegbox, there are some true masters such as Jessupe (or Jezzupe) Goldastini, Dave Burgess, Michael Darnton, Joe Robson, Oded Kishony, Luis Manfio etc, look for their websites also.

Just in case anyone might be interested I'll post the link to a few of my favorite free e-books.

The expert wood finisher.
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL7724914W/The_expert_wood_finisher

French Polishing and Enameling,
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17935

If there is anything I could help, please ask, I'm not a pro, so no trade secrets here.
Thanks again, I'll post some more picts in a couple of days.

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
That is turning into one fine looking pilot house!!

It is unusual to see a pilot house where virturlly everything is wood. What is the make and model of your boat? Does the interior of the rest of the boat have that much mahogeny?

George

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks GeorgeC, my father built her :smile:, rented an empty wherehouse, she was designed by his friend ex- chief designer for Bertram, David Napier.

Yes, lots of the same mahogany, dad bought two trees, being a trawler weight is not an issue, lots of solid wood.

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
I would love to see an external shot of the boat. One of a kinds really interest me.

How long did it take your father to build the boat? Is it a full wood hull or hand laid fiberglass?

I guess that I am on the way out of the boating business. I have my 31' Pursuit on the sale block. I will miss it, but at my age it is just too much work and not used enough.

George

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well Mr. Bartolini, seems you have posted these photos everywhere you could - hahahahahajust ran across this site and who do i find??? My good friend "Carlos", i have nothing to add but i wish you well in this boats completion and hope it last a long time.

Sincerely,

Chemmy / sam

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Welcome Chemmy, my friend, as you know I am searching for feedback, and info....hahahaha

GeorgeC, it took my dad 3 1/2 years to build her, she is solid fiberglass, 4 inches thick below waterline, built for packed ice.

Groovy - thanks, I think so too...:thumbsup:

Here is a picure of the boat, sorry for the delay, been busy.

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
WOW! Four (4) inches thick. That should hold back some ice. Has the boat ever been weighed?

I love the look of the boat.

George

·
Varnish neanderthalensis
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She displaces usually from 60 to 65 tons, depending on fuel/water.

Resin back in these days was much cheaper, today it would be crazy.

Sorry I've been slow in my communications, too busy.

Grain filler applied, 3 day to dry, next time I'll add Aluminium at 3% in my mixture for a "through dry", as per my friend's Chemmy instructions - cobalt is only a surface drier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts