Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants a magazine rack for her barbershop. It needs to be free standing since there is no wall space available, but it needs to allow viewing of at last some of the magazine covers. I have searched for a good design, but I am drawing a blank. Has anybody seen a design for something that might fit this description?

I thought about just adding a base to a wall mounted rack like this one, http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/wall-hanging-magazine-rack/, but I don't know any good way to figure out how wide the base would need to be to make it reasonably stable.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Hit E-bay.Once there you'll get pages and pages of designs.You'll also get some "real time" idea on their value.

Not suggesting you buy one....but do yourself a favor and look to see what they're going for.Then you can make a somewhat educated decision on the,design vs effort vs just buy one.

I couldn't begin to list how many different "styles" there are to approach this,or the methods....it's endless.One other thing,ask yourself...when you make "one"....should you go ahead and make several.Keep notes,so you can knock a few more out,never know who'll want one in the future.Good luck.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
The overall size hasn't been discussed, or if it needs to be a one sided view or more. But, basically a triangulated fixture like this can be utilized as a single sided view. It could have its display on the reverse side as well. Ordinarily, if the points of contact on the floor are at the outermost vertical loads, it will be fairly stable. Overly tall, or overly loaded at a high center of gravity will make it tipsy prone.

With a design similar to this one, you could use ¼' ply or ¼" plex as a face. If you only exposed the top third of the magazine cover, that would be sufficient. Of course with plex, the whole face would be visible.

·
Banned
615 Posts
To make the magazines visible you can make the front short, then add a length of dowel above that to hold them in. but of course with that the longevity may be questionable depending on dowel size, length, and material.

·
Procrastinator (For now.)
142 Posts
you'd think after almost 70 years my mind would stay out of the gutter for a little while. The first thing I thought of when I saw "barber" shop was that you had to make some of the holders suitable for girlie mags like the ones I used to look at when I was a youngster. I loved getting haircuts back in the day. Sigh :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts