Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was busy at the lathe this weekend -- one pen by request, two pens and a pencil for folks on Woodbarter in exchange for wood, and one pen for my stock.

(1) Apollo Infinity rollerball in Aspen Burl

IMGP6193.jpg
IMGP6195.jpg

(2) Olympian Elite rollerball in some cross-cut spalted stuff (going back to Eric/bangleguy for the Aspen burl blanks he sent me)

IMGP6203.jpg
IMGP6208.jpg

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice stuff!
I s'pose someday I might try pens---hmm, don't hold your breath--long. I haven't run out of big things to make

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice stuff!
I s'pose someday I might try pens---hmm, don't hold your breath--long. I haven't run out of big things to make
Thanks, Dave :smile: At some point you might find yourself with a small piece of wood that has huge emotional value ... a pen would be a good thing to make from it. (Of course, you don't have to make it yourself -- there are plenty of us pen makers who will work for a donation of wood :laughing:)

Those are very nice. I like the amboyna burl it is my favorite wood on a pen.
Thanks, yes amboyna is beautiful to look at and a delight to turn. I've added it to my list of favorites. Honduras rosewood burl was already there ... and I've got more of this aspen burl, and some velvet tamarind burl, and some black oak burl waiting patiently on the shelf :yes:

·
Registered
656 Posts
They are all great looking pens. Gorgeous blanks, great fit and finish. Hard to choose just only one but the spalted one is eye catching. Excellent work!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gorgeous pens
They are all great looking pens. Gorgeous blanks, great fit and finish. Hard to choose just only one but the spalted one is eye catching. Excellent work!

Yes, if it weren't going back to Eric as my part of the bargain, my wife would have that spalted wossitcalled pen. There's another blank that looks similar, but don't tell her that ... it'll be a surprise :shifty:

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Very nice!!! I havnt saw anyone use walnut sap wood on a pen. Looks great! I cut some two tone walnut PM blanks up but never even considering cutting any two tone pen blanks.

Eric is getting an awesome pen. That spalted sumthinanother wood looks amazing!

I think the amboyna is my favoraite. Amboyna just looks amazing no matter what you do with it. I also love the componants you used with it. I havnt seen those before. Ill definately be checking em out though!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think the amboyna is my favoraite. Amboyna just looks amazing no matter what you do with it. I also love the componants you used with it. I havnt seen those before. Ill definately be checking em out though!
I bought them from Roy Robaldo (ClassicNib), he's the US importer for Timberbits and one helluva good guy -- but I just saw that his website is down for major maintenance/overhaul.

If you want to reach him before it's all back up and running, shoot me a PM and I'll share his email address.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Thanks but his sight will probably be up and running by the time Im ready to place an order. Asside from turning, I also make Cornhole boards and I got swamped with orders this year for some reason. Itll probably be spring before I can get back to the lathe. I am gonna try and sneak a little time for the mallet swap though!

·
Banned
139 Posts
Actually... lots of stuff right now. Lol

Message me with what ya got too trade off and I will rummage around and see what I can come up with for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts