Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made this from a section of Popcorn tree that was in my back yard. I built a Jamieson rig to do the hollowing. Vase sits about 5.5" tall and is finished with wipe on Poly.
I definitely want to make more hollow forms now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard of popcorn tree but that is purty
I lifted this from Wikipedia. Popcorn trees kind of suck. I got tired of this one dropping small limbs.
Triadica sebifera, also known as Sapium sebiferum, is commonly known as the Chinese tallow tree, Florida aspen, chicken tree, gray popcorn tree,[1] and candleberry tree.[2] The tree is native to eastern Asia, and is most commonly associated with eastern China, Taiwan, and Japan. In these regions, the waxy coating of the seeds is used for candle and soap making, and the leaves are used as herbal medicine to treat boils. The plant sap and leaves are reputed to be toxic, and decaying leaves from the plant are toxic to other species of plant. The specific epithets sebifera and sebiferum mean "wax-bearing" and refer to the vegetable tallow that coats the seeds.
It is useful in the production of biodiesel because it is the third most productive vegetable oil producing crop in the world, after algae and oil palm. This species is considered to be a noxious invader in parts of the southern U.S.
In my garden I have to till more for small popcorn trees than I do weeds and grass. They will take over.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done an yes it can get addictive :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Holy crap. Popcorn grows on trees now? These are awesome times we live in.

Nice job btw. I have no idea what kind of tree a popcorn tree is, but it almost looks like it could be some type of burl to me.

Just looked it up and apparently this type of tree can be found around where I am right now, which is where I grew up. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Be careful using that kind of wood!
It usually doesn't spinning well and does have an irritating smell/odor.
Dave H

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be careful using that kind of wood!
It usually doesn't spinning well and does have an irritating smell/odor.
Dave H
Spinning was no problem. It's not the best smell and I did have to go to the doctor for an acute sinus infection because of it. Now I just wear my mask when turning it and take a shower afterwards.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We had "china berry" trees all over the yard when i was a kid. They grow quick, and topple pretty easy. We had fun having china berry fights. This reminded me of that. Nice looking piece.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Both bowls look fantastic. Like more the first one, has pretty wild grain patterns and colors. Popcorn tree surely is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts