Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to change the chuck on my drill to keyed for easier use in a drill stand - its currently very difficult to change bits with the drill in place. Its a keyless chuck and its hard to grip the opposing rings.

the drill is a Makita M8101K and fits the stand fine (A wolfcraft). Most online videos / tutorials deal with changing chucks on cordless makita drills.
My spanners will not quite fit the spindle lock and I'm also unsure whether there is a retaining screw. There is no mention of the procedure in the manual so ascertaining LH/RH thread direction would be guesswork. In frustration, I have already damaged the plastic housing and don't want to cause any more damage.

any advice gratefully received! I'll try and add some pictures if I can.
525C67D0-4651-4F75-A5DA-4697FC462924.jpeg
13F67724-4560-4A77-A82D-C4BEB35CE388.jpeg A7980C05-FE06-43C8-AE8E-5EAB78173FE9.jpeg AEC4B3A0-D4D8-4078-89AD-88269D6DA858.jpeg 49B25157-9CCE-464C-B5CD-423D198795B5.jpeg

I contacted Makita but they were unhelpful:

“Unfortunately, we can not assist virtually on repairs, as it put our customers health and safety at risk.”

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is likely a screw inside the chuck that you have to remove, probably an Allen head, possibly metric. It may have a left hand thread so try turning it both ways.
thanks but I can’t see one. The screw is very obvious on my cordless drill and I’ve seen videos which say there isn’t always a retaining screw with keyless chucks.

·
where's my table saw?
29,190 Posts
Never seen one without a screw! Get a bright light, unscrew the jaws fully to open it up and see what you see. Typically an allen/socket head and it may be filled with crud, so scrape around inside with a small flat blade screw driver to see what you can find. Turn it CW to loosen, typically on left hand threads for those screws. If you don't find a screw use the Allen wrench trick below. I've done this a few times to replace the geared chucks with keyless ones on 3/8" Makita drills.

One of these should work:

I have used this Allen wrench trick:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A further bit of info from makita after a bit of badgering:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email,

I have spoken with a technician and they have advised that this model does not have a retaining screw,

as the replacement chuck I have does have a retaining screw, I’m going to abandon this for the sake of my sanity. Thanks to everyone for your replies 😀

this is the closest video I found -https://vimeo.com/14608033

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have the exact same model and I just removed the chuck. It's like in the video you linked. The spanner should be about 18mm. I tried with 17mm (too small) and 19mm (too large) so the right one should be 18mm - I used an old unidentified spanner, probably an old bicycle tool). So if you haven't done it already, go with it, it is safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, I have the exact same model and I just removed the chuck. It's like in the video you linked. The spanner should be about 18mm. I tried with 17mm (too small) and 19mm (too large) so the right one should be 18mm - I used an old unidentified spanner, probably an old bicycle tool). So if you haven't done it already, go with it, it is safe.
thanks 😀 I bought a keyed chuck to replace it but it has / needs (?) a retaining screw. Does the arbor / spindle have a threaded hole for that? Some words / terms may be wrong - apologies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks 😀 I bought a keyed chuck to replace it but it has / needs (?) a retaining screw. Does the arbor / spindle have a threaded hole for that? Some words / terms may be wrong - apologies!
No, it seems it is just a simple hole, no thread inside. I am going for a keyless metal chuck myself, the original plastic died in a month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts