Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool stuff, J!

Ever consider supersizing one of those into one of those huge-type decorative lures? (you've seen 'em... the BIG luggers).

Over XMas, I was in Gander Mountain... I noticed that Rapala is/was selling an oversize version of their classic minnows. They were about two feet long, with real treble hooks that had to be about 6 inches deep. But they were plastic, which obviously detracts. Nevertheless, they were nice, even though they wanted $40 for the thing.

Just wonderin'... there's a market for that kinda stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't really thought of the big replicas, I will look into it. I know that on most handmade crankbait sites most guys are only doing bass style baits. I do some but prefer doing the minnow baits. I've done real well on my baits!!:yes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found pics from this last fall. Fish caught on my lures. The first pic is me holding a nice brown about 18". The second is my buddy holding a 25 lb lake trout. The laker was caught on Thanksgiving day.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice lures and nice fish too. They must have been hangin on for dear life what with no hooks and all :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Good work:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These baits where made from basswood. I have used different woods both soft and hard. I like to make all the parts ( not the hardware) including the bills. It makes the baits more "my baits".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use createx. Its water based airbrush paint. You can find it at most hobby stores Hobby lobby, micheals etc. Daren turned me onto spar urethane to use as a clear cloat. So far so good. just hope it dosent yellow over time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts