Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
When I retired I kept the Chevy Express 2500 van. There are some weeks where it doesn't move. I can't imagine getting rid of it. Insurance is cheap. Fuel mileage is poor. But, it is there if I need it.

· Registered
226 Posts
When the engine in my 2004 F-150 short bed crew cab died we decided it was time for a new truck since it is likely the last truck I will own. Wife asked what I wanted and I said, "A truck. Not a car with a short bed on it." It took some time but finally found a 2020 F-150 standard cab with an 8' bed. Rarely do I miss the crew cab (just 2 of us so the back seat was a junk accumulation point anyway).
If I am buying a 10' lumber I have my auxiliary tailgate that I can strap on. It's a 2' x 4' piece of OSB (because that is what I had laying around) with a 2" x 8" x 4' screwed on about every 3" or so and with an eye bolt on either end for strap hooks. I put it on the tailgate and load lumber on top of the OSB. The weight of the lumber plus the straps means the lumber isn't going anywhere.

· Premium Member
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My first automobile was a used 1964? Chevy Impala. I repled it I think in 1967 with a Volkswagon Kombi Station Wagon which is actually a van. After a few years it was replaced by a real van that could actually go up hill. It was a Dodge with the extended body and so ever since I have always had vans except for a 5 year period while full time traveling in my RV. Sold the RV over a year ago, rented an apartment and bought a 1998 GMC 15 passenger van with 51,000 miles on it.
Got to have my van.

· Registered
406 Posts
2001 F 250, 8' bed with a shell and ladder rack. When it's bulky and/or heavy, I will used our enclosed trailer, 6x12 with a rear. Have a 5x8 open "landscape" trailer that just sits and never gets used unless I'm hauling 4 or 6 kayaks (built a rack for them)

· Registered
316 Posts
2001 F 250, 8' bed with a shell and ladder rack. When it's bulky and/or heavy, I will used our enclosed trailer, 6x12 with a rear. Have a 5x8 open "landscape" trailer that just sits and never gets used unless I'm hauling 4 or 6 kayaks (built a rack for them)
Oh we are including trailers...I have an 18ft bobcat trailer that doubles as a dog hauler that gets utilized when I have had to haul anything over 10ft...

Dog Snow Vertebrate Dog breed Sled dog

· Registered
5 Posts
I've built two decks 200 and 500sqft, a patio, a cripple wall, and a bunch of woodworking projects this past year, all with materials hauled on my 2007 Subaru Outback's (aftermarket) roof rack. 16 foot 4x8 beams, big sheet goods, etc. Well, the pavers and concrete went in the back.

· Registered
28 Posts
I used to travel the long distances alone too. A single size air mattress and a -20* bag and I'm set. Going from Orlando to West Virginia every 6 weeks or so, I planned my trips for truck stops that has the best food I've ever found on the road. I would back the van in between two big rigs with the nose even with theirs and the subtle purr of their diesels makes for a very restful sleep (for me). A hearty breakfast and back on the road.

LOL,,, You made me tear up!
I've had Dodge (mostly Maxi) Vans since '67,,,,, & MAN do I miss them!
Best deal ever, was the 16 passenger window van that I bought off of the State. 250k mi & it still ran like a clock. 360 hypo. State maintained so it was still tight! It was used to haul prisoners across the country,,, had steel plates on the windows! I pulled off the plates & plugged the bolt holes. I would pull out the extra passenger seats when I needed to haul anything huge or long.
Hec,,,, I even hauled LOGS for my band sawmill! I sure got a ton of weird looks when I had a 12' log hanging out the back,,,,, or my 14' canoe!
Fill it full of camping gear & head to the Keys,,,,, 5-6 people.

· Registered
Termite
9,437 Posts
In the mid 80’s I had a 81 Plymouth champ. I would buy 1x12x16’ pine and haul it. I would let the seat down and slide it under the dash. It would hang off off the about a foot off the ground. Before thatvinhaspd a 1974 Pinto station wagon. Great for hauling lumber, etc.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts