Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a nice $150 (I didn't pay that much) polisher for cars, and it has Much less vibration than my $25 black & decker sander, or any other sander I have.

Would a nice, expensive sander be similar? That is: low vibration.

Can you suggest any? Thanks.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Low vibration doesn't always have to be expensive....

While searching ROS sanders a while back I came upon someone who mentioned that the older Ridgid 6" R2610 (not to be confused with the current R2611 which is a Chinese "clone") was identical to the German made Metabo SXE450 I had on my short list. The Metabo had very good reviews (I was looking for low vibration as well) so I figured it should hold true for the Ridgid. I happened to find an R2610 on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price and sure enough it is quieter/smoother/more comfortable to hold than any of my Porter Cable sanders or any of the more expensive sanders I had tried at the local tool shop. I haven't been able to find any new ones for a while since they are discontinued however they show up occasionally on eBay for quite a bit less than the Metabo.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I tried a couple of $200.00 + Makitas (I tried the one you posted but it was 5" and I wanted 6"), a couple of Bosch models including the top of the line which surprisingly had an unacceptable vibration when I turned it up to full speed, the 6" Porter Cable barrel grip (I had the 5" version) and at least 1 other I can't remember off hand. They had the Festool sanders as well however he was "too busy" to take one out of the locked case for me to try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts