Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what the lowest temp i can keep diffrent finishes at. I moved to a bigger shot but it has no heat besides a wood stove. It gets down to around 40 at the lowest. is this to low to store finishes like danish oil, shellac, BLO, water based polly, oil based ... Last winter i kept them inside but id like to get them out of the house if possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Kevin
My shop stays at about 45 degrees during the winter and I have had no real ill effects from the cold. That being said, I don't usually try to keep much on hand as far as finishes. My stains and glue have always come out fine. The only finish that bit the dust was from me not getting it sealed

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear! I have lots of paint and finishes, and really dont like keeping them in the house. I Have a small finishing room in the shop that i could heat with a small electric heaters on days i will be applying finish. I just dont feel like wasting the money to run it all winter if i dont have to.

·
Registered
28,384 Posts
I was just curious what the lowest temp i can keep diffrent finishes at. I moved to a bigger shot but it has no heat besides a wood stove. It gets down to around 40 at the lowest. is this to low to store finishes like danish oil, shellac, BLO, water based polly, oil based ... Last winter i kept them inside but id like to get them out of the house if possible.
The only thing you have to worry about is water based finishes. You just need to keep them above freezing is all. The Danish oil, oil based finishes, shellac and BLO you could use well below freezing however the drying time would be longer.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you only get to the low 40's there's nothing to worry about other than making sure everything gets warmed up to temperature before use, at lest as far as your glues and waterborne finishes go. The oil based stuff can be used in colder temps, but it can be a PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.