Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just part of it, but for $3 per 4' 1x7s not a bad deal at all. It's all kiln dried for making doors and so forth. 40 of em for $120? (more on the way) Hard to beat this with a board..
Now I gotta make a ton of sawdust planing and cutting it down to 3/4" stock.. Slicing and dicing and making a kinds of delicious meals.. Ok..maybe not that far..

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
Nice... just need to find a good project for it..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice... just need to find a good project for it..
32 doors and I don't remember how many drawers..I think I have the project part covered..

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If my math is right that's a buck 29 a BF!!!

Cypress is pretty wood, very brittle - sharp blades, knives and chisels!!!

The guy I bought a machine from built a kitchen of cypress. Just a clear coat 5 years of aging turned a really nice shade of brown. I thought it was heart pine when I saw it.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
The cypress I buy is relatively soft and easy to cut. The blades dull realtively quickly due to the high silica (sand) content. Be careful to avoid tight fits. Cypress does expand and contract with moisture in the air. Usually a quality lacquer helps reduce this.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my math is right that's a buck 29 a BF!!!

Cypress is pretty wood, very brittle - sharp blades, knives and chisels!!!

The guy I bought a machine from built a kitchen of cypress. Just a clear coat 5 years of aging turned a really nice shade of brown. I thought it was heart pine when I saw it.
I know one thing it'll do. With my planer I have to stop every few boards to blow the dust out. Fine dust builds up on the rollers and things stop feeding through. It's not the end of the world..just a bit annoying.
About 1/3rd of everything has a split down the middle, but I can live with it. I have learned the hard way how to not handle cypress though. Kind of like walking on ice. Don't shuffle your hands along the boards unless you enjoy picking splinters out every few minutes.. Out of 35 planed already just one splinter.. I'm learning.. lol
Last job I picked a bunch of splinters out..
I also learned to leave the WD40 alone whilst working with the planer over the afternoon. I'll leave that to your collective imaginations how I learned that. It has to do with wind..lol

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really don't think about it too much, but planing just 1/8" off 20 boards generates a lot of sawdust. I've completely filled the bag of the DC twice since last night over 40 boards. On the bright side I'm killing a bunch of weeds over in one corner of the yard..

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
My trash people take the sawdust. Free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts