·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first miter saw-stand
- dw715
- dwx725

And I am embarking on making simple patio furniture out of PT 2x4's

Just figured out how to cut wood to the appropriate length... I was hung up on cutting on the line instead of on a side... So almost all of my cuts were 1/8 + or - 1/8
Anyways

I need to cut 36+ pieces at the same length and was wondering if anyone had examples of guides I could attach or use with the miter saw/stand combo I have--

Thanks in advance

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If it were me....I'd take the 725 back and get the 724 ( or a non dewalt version of it). Then I'd just adjust the outrigger to be a stop instead of a support. I do this on mine all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replys-- can't return- box is gone-

I thought I liked the stand- didn't find too much on this site about it... Should have been my first clue...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Still not the end of the world....you should be able to rig something up from below to accommodate the same result.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Before you start cutting, take the time to set up your stop block. Look at the end of you miter saw to see if there are any holes available to bolt a support board to...like a 1 foot piece of 2x4.

If so, you could do that an attach another flat piece of ply or 1x material to it and support it with a stand or whatever you can conjure up to support the outboard end. Then lay out your measurement and attach a stop block (which can be anything) with a clamp or screws. Then you can move the block as needed for other repetitive cuts.
Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
To get an accurate cut every time without using a stop, measure your piece, (let's say 36"). Then mark your line with a speed square and cut the wood on the outside of the mark (being that there should be 36" from the end to the mark.

Then, if that first piece is accurate, use that piece as a measuring stick for the rest. However, as an extra measure, measure the piece that you marked on from the measuring stick every time just to make sure.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toolman2 said:
To get an accurate cut every time without using a stop, measure your piece, (let's say 36"). Then mark your line with a speed square and cut the wood on the outside of the mark (being that there should be 36" from the end to the mark.
I figure that simple technique out after trial and error...

Thanks for all the replys-- I'll take pics of my set up when I get home.. I have a stool with 2 1x4's nailed together as a extension for my MS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts