Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· learning to turn bowls.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, i have been turning pens like crazy. getting pretty good at it but any suggestions would be appreciated. Let me know what you think.:yes:
The first is a black and red acrylic with a wall street 2 copper kit
The second is a Ebony slimline with black titanium.
the third is a Olive wood slim line with gold hardware and a cross pen clip.

Attachments

197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need a mandrel, bushings(to get the blanks down to the proper size for the kit you're turning), sandpaper, epoxy to glue the brass tubes into the wood blanks, a finish(more available than I have space to go into), and time. That is just the basics, as you delve more into the obsession there are more toys to spend money on than you probably have available. I would suggest going to your local woodcraft and talking to them, or go online to penstate to buy the parts and get the book, a pen turners workbook. good luck and above all have fun. :D

· Registered
557 Posts
Along with a drill to drill your blanks, clamp to hold it while drilling, deburring/end cutting tool, some way to press the pen together.

Check the Penn State web site and look through the section on pens to see what you need. I turned a couple at a club but they weren't for me. I use a pen mandrel for make other things though.

197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love hunter tools. I have a Hunter 5. the small one. That thing eats through wood and it has actually helped me with my skew work believe it or not. Learning to ride the bevel on a hunter tool helped me learn to ride the bevel on a skew. wonderful tool, just wish they weren't so dang expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.