Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can i do to fix a loose fitting joint the tennons are a bit under size so joint is to sloppy i was thinking about add some saw dust to the glue too thicken it up will that work?anyone have a suggustion thanks tony e

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I cut veneer thick slices off a spare board and glue to the tennon until I get a good fit

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I recently solved one of these by gluing a piece of veneer into the mortise.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I usually take the peal from a hand plane and wrap it around the tenon until there is a snug fit.

The fox tail joint is a good suggestion also. You don't have to make it a "real" (a.k.a. Through) joint. It can be hidden but once assembled it wont come apart and you can't dry fit the joint.

Just be sure that there is enough room in the tenon slot for the wedge to fully seat. You will need more than average clamping pressure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the mortise is about 1/32" to loose. tke method of gluing in a pc of thin stock will work . i just thought there would be an easer faster way to fix it . its not a thru mortise. thanks for all your sugguestions tony e

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
the mortise is about 1/32" to loose. tke method of gluing in a pc of thin stock will work . i just thought there would be an easer faster way to fix it . its not a thru mortise. thanks for all your sugguestions tony e
If you plan to glue in a wood shaving or thin veneer as a prosthetic type fix that it doesn't skew the direction of the tenon. If the gap is that small you could just use a two part epoxy and position the piece with the tenon until the glue cures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts