Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at several brands and can't seem to pin it down to one. been looking at the Grizzly G0817, Ricon 14" 10-326, Laguna 14 bx 2 1/2 HP 220 14Bx. and Harvey C14 3HP 14" Ambassador. could someone give me your ideas.
thanks

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I meant to mention...the extra length from the larger machines keeps the blades cooler, each tooth has to cut less (there are more of them), and the larger wheels add less stress. So there are advantages to the size in this case above simple capacity.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,319 Posts
Laguna 14 bx 2 1/2 HP 220 14Bx
We bought the Laguna 14 SUV about 5 years ago and it has been a great machine. I can't recommend Laguna enough.

·
Seasoned Pro
48 Posts
I have the Rikon 10-326. Since I use it largely for resawing, I like how the fence can be adjusted to account for drift. They are all good saws though.

·
where's my table saw?
31,939 Posts
Please explain why? This is something I guess I never understood. I turn it off and walk away 100% of the time and have never thought I would ever use a brake.
I had a great 19" Grizzly, later sold it to a buddy, that had an electronic motor brake which stopped the blade in a second or two. I specifically ordered that version as a safety feature. The advantage is not having an exposed 6" to 12" blade spinning, unguarded, for about a full minute. If you brush your workpiece against it or far worse, your hand, very bad things will happen. Murphy's Law says, if it can happen, it will happen ... eventually.
I sold it because my expectations of having a large milling room never came to fruition. Along with the bandsaw, two 3 HP shapers, an 8" jointer and a 20" thickness plane found new homes.
In a shop where there's more than one person, it is also a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I had a great 19" Grizzly, later sold it to a buddy, that had an electronic motor brake which stopped the blade in a second or two. I specifically ordered that version as a safety feature. The advantage is not having an exposed 6" to 12" blade spinning, unguarded, for about a full minute. If you brush your workpiece against it or far worse, your hand, very bad things will happen. Murphy's Law says, if it can happen, it will happen ... eventually.
I sold it because my expectations of having a large milling room never came to fruition. Along with the bandsaw, two 3 HP shapers, an 8" jointer and a 20" thickness plane found new homes.
In a shop where there's more than one person, it is also a safety feature.
Gotcha. Hasn’t been a issue for me, so far anyway…..

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,319 Posts
Please explain why? This is something I guess I never understood. I turn it off and walk away 100% of the time and have never thought I would ever use a brake.
There have been a handful of times, maybe a dozen or more actually, where I needed to hold the cut off piece and the stock from which it was cut but the blade is still exposed on resawing a 10" wide board. The only way to hold both pieces and shut the saw off is to hit the brake. On the Laguna, probably others, there is a microswitch that shuts the saw off as soon as the pedal is pressed. You can keep pressing and the brake engages.

Our SUV14 coasts for 45 seconds after being turned off and since I'm the only one working in the shop it's seldom a big deal but when I need the blade stopped now that brake has come in handy. Of course, there's that one time when I was cutting a slice off a Cherry log and it rolled; stopping the wheels immediately was a good bonus when that happened. I did a PSA video on that, btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I think I've narrowed my search down to Rikon 10-326 (I like its features and warranty and I have a Rikon 10" BS that works well and I've had good luck with Rikon support) and the Harvey Ambassador C14. The C14 looks like a well made BS and I like the 3HP motor but the sale price is about $300 more than the Rikon. I'm just not sure that for my needs the extra HP is worth the cost.

·
where's my table saw?
31,939 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I think I've narrowed my search down to Rikon 10-326 (I like its features and warranty and I have a Rikon 10" BS that works well and I've had good luck with Rikon support) and the Harvey Ambassador C14. The C14 looks like a well made BS and I like the 3HP motor but the sale price is about $300 more than the Rikon. I'm just not sure that for my needs the extra HP is worth the cost.
These large power tools are a lifetime investment and will last 25 to 50 years. If getting the best one you can would mean spending that $300 more now, divide that by 30 years and that's 10 dollars per year. You can't "undo" a purchase after finding it's not the one you should have bought initially. It's a long term view I know, but tools are one of the very few items that actually will last that long.

Reactions: RBH

·
Registered
54 Posts
I frequently use the foot brake on my JET 20", especially when I need the blade to stop moving, like NOW.
I also have an old 12" Craftsman that does NOT have a foot break. I got it used and I'm in the process of getting it ready to use in my shop.
As others have suggested, if you will only have one bandsaw then go big.
See Alex Snodgrass on YouTube for setting up and tuning your Bandsaw.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts