Woodworking Talk banner

Looking to add a bandsaw to shop

2395 Views 59 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Tony B
Is it possible to get a decent bandsaw for $500or less?
If so which ones should I look at?

Probably be used for small projects like shelf brackets, decorative pieces etc. No resawing for now.

I've only used big industrial bandsaw in the metal shop I worked at so I know nothing about the small ones or working with wood on them.

Open to all opinions.

Thanks
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
I thought a 10inch would be fine until I saw videos on resawing small logs. Of which I have an unlimited supply of poplar and maple plus other species to be determined.
Now I want resaw capacity.馃榿

After taking all this in and looking at all the new options I was dead set on the Rikon 10 326 deluxe.

Then I saw the Laguna 14 12.

I see them for the same price as the Rikon minus the blade, which means it is a little more but it looks like a little more robust of a machine.

Do they ever put these on sale?

Looks like I gotta sell some more stuff.馃榾
See less See more
I have had the Rikon 10-326 for several years. It's a great saw. The Laguna 1412 is also a great saw. Either will last a hobbyist forever and do whatever you ask.

The Laguna will go on the typical twice a year 10% or 15% sale at some point. You just missed the Woodcraft Rikon 15% off sale.
Reactions: 1
After taking all this in and looking at all the new options I was dead set on the Rikon 10 326 deluxe.
Then I saw the Laguna 14 12.
Do they ever put these on sale?
I have the Laguna 14-12 Great saw. I would recommend it to anyone.
I know nothing about the Rikon.
Laguna has sales from time to time.
Glad to hear they do put them on sale.
One thing I like on the laguna is the blade guard adjustment.
The blade tensioning only has to be done once for the blade already mounted. That is....... If your blade has been properly tensioned for the job at hand and you are finished with it. There is a long lever handle you pull down which will release the tension on the blade. The next time you need to cut some wood and are using the same blade, you simply raise that long lever arm and now you are properly tensioned again. No adjustments needed. Now that's a time and effort saver. End of day, just pull that long lever arm again and all tension is removed. Next day, just push the long lever arm up again and turn on saw and start cutting.
Even better!
Thanks for the replies. I think it looks better too.馃榾
It Does. LOL
I'll agree, that black is pretty snazzy :cool:.

The tensioning lever is on the Rikon too.
I thought the Rikon had that too Sanchez.

Do you have to adjust the upper guides on the 10 326 when you raise or lower blade guard on yours?

Saw a video and the guy said his occasionally needed tweaking after moving the blade guard.
@Miket
both the Laguna 14 12 and the Jet 15" both are 1.75 hp.
they are good units. both about 300 pounds.

I would suggest buying new unless you are mechanically inclined and willing to do repair work and service work on a used machine. is the cost savings worth the difference.

in my area of search used about $900.

over the years I have worked on the older models to help people with them and they have been great machines. generally the upper wheel bearings are the ones that go bad on both machines they've been used a lot or commercially the bearings are not hard to change nor very expensive

in Central Florida finding good work working tools don't last more 3 for 4 days on Facebook or Craigslist

good luck on your search. :)
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Hey Mike,

To be honest, if I've had to do it, I don't remember because it's really easy. I always adjust the bearings before I start with a new cut setup.

Generally the only time I'm changing the guard height in between cuts is when I'm processing log pieces into bowl blanks. I start in a lower position to get a flat edge (blank flat), then go to a higher position to get a flat face (blank standing on end or edge). I probably only check the thrust bearing in between.
@Biotec thanks

I've made up my mind I'm going big and new unless I find a deal on a nice used one.
I'm pretty handy but I'm at the point in life where I want to do stuff not fix stuff.

I just learned how to tag someone馃榾
@sanchez Thanks

It definitely looks like a great saw and to be honest the only thing I like better on the Laguna is the blade guard adjustment and that sexy black paint.馃榾

I'm gonna take the hour and a half ride to the woodcraft in Raleigh here soon when they have both in stock and go from there.
@Miket
Taking equipment for a good test drive always makes a good choice.
knowing your limitations and where you want to put your time at will make better informed decisions.
I was at woodcraft few days ago. Was looking at the band saws too. I really like the Rikon. It's fence looks robust
I had been looking for used for a while and was ready to buy a new bandsaw earlier this month while Jet had a 10% off sale. The day before I was heading to Woodcraft I saw this Jet JWBS-14SF that had just gone on Craigslist, picked it up along with a mobile base for $600. The seller also threw in some accessories to boot!
Wood Milling Gas Toolroom Machine

I need to get a few new blades, where is a good source? it uses 125鈥 ones.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
I need to get a few new blades, where is a good source? it uses 125鈥 ones.
I get my Timberwolf blades from Grizzly Industrial.
They don't show a 125" only a 124"

This site will have any length you need:
21 - 40 of 60 Posts