Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled this bolt off an easel I got from a company in Australia. I need it or something approximate. It would need to have a matching threaded insert or at least be able to go through an easily available threaded insert. Thanks in advance.
I

·
Registered
476 Posts
I pulled this bolt off an easel I got from a company in Australia. I need it or something approximate. It would need to have a matching threaded insert or at least be able to go through an easily available threaded insert. Thanks in advance.
I View attachment 424367
This should be relatively easy to make/duplicate with some common tools. Take the piece to a hardware store and purchase a length of threaded rod with the same diameter and thread pitch/count. Cut off a piece of the desired length + a little extra, lightly chuck that piece up in a drill, drill press, lathe, etc. While the threaded rod is spinning, use a file and or grinder to form the point.
OR if you know someone or have a metal working lathe, use that to turn the point.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ditto what @Dave McCann said.

I tried a Google image search, no luck, but you might try it. I didn't see it here either.

You might try taking it to an auto parts store, I think I've seen something like that in carburetors.

The one in the picture is metric but the new one doesn't need to be, it just needs a matching insert? Inserted into wood? For that try searching for: T-nut

·
Registered
105 Posts
@216stitches, in wood working there's often a lot of ways to reach the same goal, if you tell us more about your project maybe someone here will have an idea that doesn't take special hardware.

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
I would like to see photos of where that bolt goes - and the whole easel itself.

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
this is what we have here in the U.S., called Machine Set Screw (grub screw).
without seeing your easel and how this bolt is used, it is hard to provide alternatives.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This should be relatively easy to make/duplicate with some common tools. Take the piece to a hardware store and purchase a length of threaded rod with the same diameter and thread pitch/count. Cut off a piece of the desired length + a little extra, lightly chuck that piece up in a drill, drill press, lathe, etc. While the threaded rod is spinning, use a file and or grinder to form the point.
OR if you know someone or have a metal working lathe, use that to turn the point.
It's a set screw. How would he tighten threaded rod?!

·
johnep
2,057 Posts
I have made a slot just using a hacksaw.. Howevr, two nuts tightened will be easy if not required to go fully into hole.
johnep

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's a set screw. How would he tighten threaded rod?!
I must have missed the photo showing the drive end of the rod shown. What type of drive is required? Will a hacksawn slot be sufficient? How tight does it need to be? More than hand tight?

All that is shown is threads and a point. For all we know that is all the features there is.
What I suggested would duplicate the features shown.
If the part requires more features, then those features will have to be incorporated into the final product.

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
it all remains a mysterious mystery until the O/P comes back with more info and photos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I thought that modification might be a thing, but I have so little experience with such I hadn't considered this. This could work. Will try if the grub screws don't pan out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we see the point at one end, what is on the other end?
Nothing, but on the easel it has a rubber cap and is used to hole the canvas frame from the outside. The pointed end is for holding it from the inside.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
hole for an allen wrench, slot for screw driver?? although it is not critical, was just curious...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts