Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey,
I’m Cheyenne. I’m 23 and not handy at all. I saw this gorgeous door on Pinterest and I really wanted to buy it for my laundry room.. but I can’t find it anyway. My husband isn’t all that handy so I’m turning to the internet. I’m willing to pay for shipping as well.
thanks in advance
Cabinetry Door Fixture Rectangle Gas

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
Be prepared to spend between $1,000 and $2,000 to have it built and installed. You're better off to find a local carpenter and save the shipping costs which will be considerable. A carpenter can easily build that door, you don't need a "woodworker'. I've built a few door in my time, including a pair of barn doors 11 ft tall and 7 ft wide,
The hardware will also be expensive, looks like stainless steel.

Reactions: CheyenneWhitley

·
Registered
28,477 Posts
If you can find the right size you might consider buying an old used door like this one and either cut the panels out or have a carpenter do it and apply beadboard to the back side. The metal rail could be fastened to the face of it instead of in the framing.

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
If you can find the right size you might consider buying an old used door like this one and either cut the panels out or have a carpenter do it and apply beadboard to the back side. The metal rail could be fastened to the face of it instead of in the framing.
Habitat for Humanity, at least my local store has a stockpile of second hand panel doors to choose from. You would save a thousand dollars getting one.
Minor modifications would give you exactly what you want but obviously the hardware would be extra. The hardware may also be found at Habitat, used of course.
Great tip from Steve!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
being a contractor, i have encountered many projects similar to this, and built my share of doors. Although you may be able to find a door that could be retrofitted to something close, in my opinion, it could likely take longer and be more of a pita to do it. and not likely to look like the door in the pic

so, i am in the "start from scratch" camp. find a good carpenter, being paint grade is not hard...

·
where's my table saw?
31,480 Posts
being a contractor, i have encountered many projects similar to this, and built my share of doors. Although you may be able to find a door that could be retrofitted to somthing close, in my opinion, it could likely take longer and be more of a pita to do it. and not likely to look like the door in the pic

so, i am in the "start from scratch" camp. find a good carpenter, being paint grade is not hard...
That door in the photo is not a "typical" door constructed in the traditional manner with cope and stick rails and stiles. It is a "construction" of 2 X 4's and siding or paneling in an unusual or unique assembly. IF the OP wants that exact look? then a used door will not give that appearance, unless starting with a slab door and adding on the "faux" stiles and rails. So, Tim's point has some merit, but IF the OP wants the overall same look and is not concerned about the specific construction, starting with a slab door or even 3/4" plywood as the base, it may be OK? Either way, the OP is not going to be constructing the door.

I would recommend they look for a local contractor regardless, and work out the specific design details in conversation and sketches.
The internet forums like this are fine for general advice, but a local contractor is the best answer all the way around, since shipping costs would be "outa sight" and there would need to be a separate contractor hired for the installation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts