Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the wood working scene, So far ive been playing wround with cheap (lowes,and Homedepo) wood. I would like to make some bandsaw boxes with Cedar But i cant seem to find any around Winston Salem NC. Where can i get Cedar wood or if anyone would like to donate peices of cedar scrap i would welcome them with open arms :clap:

Thank you In advance.....

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you can't find a sawmill, Home Depot has both cedar for fencing and higher grade aromatic cedar. Lowes has it too, but it is harder to find... they keep it in the gardening area rather than with the other lumber. Around here they have it anyway, I understand there are regional differences.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't find a sawmill, Home Depot has both cedar for fencing and higher grade aromatic cedar. Lowes has it too, but it is harder to find... they keep it in the gardening area rather than with the other lumber. Around here they have it anyway, I understand there are regional differences.
Thank you thats probably why i couldnt find it lol

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
As you want to make a bandsawn box, I think what you're looking for is a BIG chunk, not thin, not a post. One western red cedar product made here is/are "shake blocks." Always 24" long, they are 6" x 8" or thereabouts. Always straight grained and clear of knots.
My main source of WRC carving wood. Primo.

Anybody in yor region cutting shingles or splitting WRC shakes for the housing industry?

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Medevack1, I buy my slabs at the sawmill about 38 miles south of me all the time. He has 1 X 6's and 1 X 8's, but they are all sawmill cut. I make cedar boxes. Please take a look at my albums;
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/derlc-40915/albums/
We have the aromatic cedar in Texas. Different parts of the country have different kinds of Cedar. Would this be the kind of cedar you were wanting?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Medevack1, I buy my slabs at the sawmill about 38 miles south of me all the time. He has 1 X 6's and 1 X 8's, but they are all sawmill cut. I make cedar boxes. Please take a look at my albums;
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/derlc-40915/albums/
We have the aromatic cedar in Texas. Different parts of the country have different kinds of Cedar. Would this be the kind of cedar you were wanting?
Link doesnt work :( but my father in law just toled me he has a cedar tree in the back yard.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't believe you can't find cedar lumber at Lowes or HD. Around here (Midwest), they have stacks and stacks of cedar lumber--1x, 2x, and 4x. Even 6x6 sometimes.

I've made quite a few cabinets from selected pieces of construction grade cedar lumber.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't believe you can't find cedar lumber at Lowes or HD. Around here (Midwest), they have stacks and stacks of cedar lumber--1x, 2x, and 4x. Even 6x6 sometimes.

I've made quite a few cabinets from selected pieces of construction grade cedar lumber.

Ill double check ty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts