Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2-1/2" plastic Blast gate on my router table that leaks so bad, that I think its useless. I'm thinking about ordering an Aluminum one, but before I do I need to know if it has some sort of seal or if its tight enough to seal itself.
I'm actually going to need two because I want to put in a 2 1/2" Y-Connector so I can also connect up my new spindle sander. So I really need it to seal properly.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've never seen a gate with seals on it. They all leak to some degree.

Unless you want to empty your wallet a bit..

http://www.blastgateco.com/Positive-Seal.php
Wow oh my I'll just unplug my hose and plug it up with something before I spend that much. LOL.

Well Thanks anyway. I guess I'm not in such a hurry after all to buy a new one. I wonder if I can coat the plastic one with wax or maybe grease.

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
I just get my aluminum ones from Oneida-air.com They work nice enough, have a little screw to hold the gate closed and tighter. I rarely use the screw because I'm lazy, I don't want to have to undo the screw every time I want to open the gate.

They don't have a 2 1/2" gate, they have a 3" gate for about $15.00

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of 4" aluminum gates but I don't want to run more 4" pipe plus it takes up too much space.
I'm now thinking of just using one gate and move a 2-1/2" hose around between 3 machines that are all in the same area.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a 5" gate from this company. http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Aluminum-Full-Blast-Gates.php It looks like a nice one but seal tight, I doubt it. As was said they all leak a bit unless you throw a lot of $$$ at them. If it leaks a little I don't really care.

Charlie
It’s funny how they don’t sell 2 1/2" Blast Gates. :smile:

I want them to seal better then they do because when adding them all up, my HF 2HP DC system just can't handle it.

Anyway I tried adding wax to the Blast Gate and I can’t tell without measuring it but I can hear it pretty loud when it’s closed. I can’t take it apart but I’m going to clean the wax up and glue some thick paper on to what I can of the suction side and see if that works. I believe my aluminum gates do come apart and if the plastic don’t seal than I’ll order an aluminum and see what I can do for it.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
You're probably not getting adequate dust collection using a 2 1/2" gate anyway. That gate is made for a shopvac which has a high static suction. DC on the other hand are low static pressure devices which require a lot of air movement but little resistance, ie: bigger ducting.

Most DCs are designed to work with 4" ducting or larger. I have a 2 1/2HP and I use a 6" trunk and 5" drops that go into 5-4" reducers because all my ports on my machines are 4". I can run 2 machines adequately and 3 depending on what they are and what I'm doing with them.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2 ½” blast gate on my router table works fine. My problem is not with the 2 ½” but at the table saw and joiner where I have 4” blast gates. I believe that there is so much air leaking from the other plastic blast gates that there is low suction at any open gate except for the 2 ½”. I did not have any problem until I added 4 more gates and 30 ft of 4” pipe.

It does seem to help to crack open another 2 ½” when I’m only using the router table or at least it sounds different, but I’m not sure because it sucked up the knob for my feather board and I heard it go up the hose and across the ceiling down to the Dust collector. In fact I always hear hunks of wood that breaks off when cutting dado's go up the hose.

Anyway what I may have to do is put in a Blast gates at the Y-fitting off the Dust Collector itself and use only one line at a time. Th biggest problem is reaching them

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're probably not getting adequate dust collection using a 2 1/2" gate anyway.
It just occurred to me that you may think I have 2 ½” running all the way but the DC Transition hose to the Router Table is only a short 5ft drop from 4”.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts