Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Electronics Designer
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for this topic because I thought there might be something significant on it. I didn't see anything so I'm bringing it up.

I'm looking for a resilient coating for turned objects such as pens, tool handles, cooking/serving utensil handles, etc, that has a satin or non-shiny sheen. In some applications I feel like the glare from the coating detracts from the natural beauty of the wood and I think I want to try it for certain projects. Satin polyurethane comes to mind but I'm not sure.

Something I have that might be good is mineral oil. It penetrates the wood and is very cheap. The problem with mineral oil is that it doesn't make a hard coating that protects the wood. Also, it requires reapplication. If I sell someone a pen they're not going to rub it with oil every couple of months. I have a can currently of semigloss PU, a can of gloss lacquer, and some friction polish. I've also thought about getting a gloss finish and then buffing it with supah-fine steel wool. I'm just tossing out ideas here in hopes that maybe someone's already tried them and can discuss it briefly.

Ed

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Almost any film building finish can be rubbed to satin. I've been finishing pepper mills with General Finishes' Woodturner's Finish. I've rubbed a few with 0000 steel wool and wax and they've come out to a nice satiny sheen. I've done it on the lathe at about 150 rpm. To remove any obvious cross grain scratches, I rub it parallel to the grain again using 0000 steel wool and wax.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I have used once the GF Woodturners Finish on a pen. It's a pen I use at work almost daily. After 5-6 months it seems to be holding up quite well. I'd recommend giving it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts