Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· I love wood!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - I was wondering if anyone knows the minimum overhang required on a table that has a pedestal base? I want to make sure people aren't knocking their knees on the base when they are seated to eat. I'm attaching a quick generic sketch to show the dimension I'm looking for. Thanks very much!:smile:

· Registered
303 Posts
I also think 12" is not enough. I'm 6'2" which is on the tall side but certainly not all that tall. With a 12 " overhang, if my knees were touching the pedestal,with my feet tucked back, the edge of the table would be 6-8" away from my stomach/chest.

I would think 14-15 inches overhang would be a minimum. For anyone under 6-4".

· Registered
303 Posts
I found this info regarding over-hangs.

The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) recommends a minimum seating overhang (clear space) of:
Table-height seating (30" high): 18" overhang
Counter-height seating (36" high): 15" overhang
Bar-height seating (42" high): 12" overhang

· I love wood!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to all who replied

Appreciate the feedback. The info from the NKBA was helpful...was planning on 12" but it seems like that's not going to be enough. It may be enough for some to sit at but it wont be enough to tuck an armchair under comfortably. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.