Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dad's looking for a Piece of Red Oak to finish @ 3" x 8" x 5' long Preferibly KD. I believe it's going to be used as a "Counter top" in a Wall opening. Any Leads are apreciated... I'm in SW New York State

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I can provide one partially spalted and quite figured but it would be green.
You are going to have a hard time finding one that thick already kiln dried - and drying one that thick in a kiln is real tricky to begin with.

I am sure it is done but I don't personally know anyone doing it to whom I could refer you.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Like TT said stuff that size is hard to find kiln dried. I too could supply the lumber in that dimension/species, but it would be air dried or green. IF I was doing it I would try to find a local (or otherwise) supplier that deals in old barn framing, salvaged timbers. There may be a guy within 10 miles of you with a semi trailer load of old timbers just laying around. Since you only need 5', you can surely get a good piece bigger in thickness and width and plane it down. Those old timbers even though they are just air dried, they have been for 100 years, so they are pretty stable.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have connections at a Sawmill But I can't get them to do it.. I'm sure it's a stability thing. I can get some 8/4 stock locally........ He May just have to live with that Either that or Build a Small scale Kiln.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Where are you located in NY? I am a little south of buffalo and have a guy that sell larger peices. Let me know as I might even have a chunck downstairs if he doesnt mind white oak.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al,
As as Far south of Buffalo as you can get without hitting PA. (Olean)
He's looking for Red oak to match the rest of the trim that we put in 2 years ago.

Matt

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to talk to him next week about it. It's gonna be difficult to find anything over 8/4 stock.......

I don;t think he wants to as you'll see the 2 sides and 1 end once installed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try finding a old barn that is comeing down. Most of them are either cheastnut or red oak. Then you can clean it up if he wants or leave the hand hewn look to it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you dont mind the long drive I have about 20 or 30 Oak trees laying in my yard. They range from 15" to 50" I think some are water oaks, pin oaks. Not sure about red oak. And I am real sure thair or NO live oaks. A little thunder storm called Rida uprooted them all in 05. Most are still growing laying on their sides. PS: bring your own saw.

Funny thing about Huricanes, They can uproot a 500 year old oak tree and leave my emply plastic gas can untouched in the court yard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I lived in Lousiville I purchased alot of Red amd White Oak from local pallet companies. On the other hand I have access to Red, White and Bass wood not to mention other varities. Unfortunatley they are either green or air dried. How ever dimension is not a problem as I can get them cut to any spec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts