Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I was hoping one of you guys had a small mill you knew of that a guy could buy some ruff cut hardwood lumber from for transport back here to Alaska. A friend here locally is driving from here to the west coast (Seattle I think) then out to Peoria, Ill. Then back to Seattle and back to Anchorage. He has offered to haul some lumber for me if I could find some not to far off his path. I have purchased lumber from a guy on the south eastern side of Illinois before but was hoping to find some closer to Peoria. I’m looking for fancier wood with curl, bird’s eye, flame, spalting or the like. I’m also more interested in wood that can be planed down to closer to 4/4 than the typical ¾. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Phil in Alaska

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Texas,

Pretty much just Spruce and Birch. There's not very many mills up here and the wood is expensive. I can buy most hardwoods down there cheaper, not including shipping of course. I have a friend thats cutting down a couple decent sized birch and spruce. He said I could have them. I'll take them to a mill about an hour away and he will cut them for $100 an hour on a wood mizer. This summer I plan to drive south about 4 hours for some yearly halibut fishing and to bring home a nice cedar. Evedently this tree washed up years ago and has just been sitting there on the beach. Could be from anywhere on the west coast I guess. Closest ones must be quite a bit south but I'm not sure.

Phil in Alaska

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I am about 100 miles S.E. of Peoria, spalted and curly are my middle names :laughing:. Check out my gallery and website.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Last night I was half asleep or half awake however you want to look at it. I wrote like a 75 word paragraph and in it I reccomended he contact Daren in Lovington. I guess I inadvertantly deleted everything except the very last sentence which was "What's the lumber like in Alaska?"

Anyway Phil, you ought ot get ahold of Daren in Lovington. His middle names are Spalted and Curly. :laughing:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Last night I was half asleep or half awake however you want to look at it. I wrote like a 75 word paragraph and in it I reccomended he contact Daren in Lovington. I guess I inadvertantly deleted everything except the very last sentence which was "What's the lumber like in Alaska?"
Maybe too much 'Nilla Diet Pepesi.....:blink: :blink: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I called the guy with the mill thats cut for me before. He gets $1.75 bf for the birch and $5 for a 1x6x8 out of spruce. Both prices seem reasonable. I think I'd be better off finding my own big birch and pay hourly to cut it up. I called a big tree service today and asked him to be on the lookout for a big nasty birch. He said he had a clearing job in a couple days and would give me a call. Now to figure out how to haul it?

Phil in Alaska

1 - 10 of 10 Posts