Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started a small working plane collection and I just don’t have any wall space to hang anything. I currently have an extra drawer in my router table that they could fit in, but I’ve made arrangements to buy a #7 which throws that idea out the window because of the length.

I then thought of building something under my power plane, but its only 20” long and I’m not sure if it can handle the extra weight. I really like the small size of the current stand as is and don’t want to build a larger one at this time.

The 22” No7 is my biggest challenge and about my only alternative is to build a case that can stand on end in a corner or something. Maybe a 12”x12”x24” box hinged in the center to swing open while standing on end. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up and set it on the bench when I want to use it. I don’t know what the final weight will be.

So beside shelves and wall cabinets, what other plane storage options are there? Right now I have them all in a plastic container and I don't have the #7 yet.

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Bill I like that first picture with the tote type. I have to think about that to how I can make it fit my shop.

The more I think about that tote in the slide out the more I wish I would have seen that before I built my work bench. Dang I'd hate to build another work bench, but my needs are changing as I do more wood working.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I keep mine in a file cabinet near my bench. It's a three drawer, knee high one I got from my wife's office when they got new furniture. Heavy duty, full extension drawers. Lined the drawers with that rubber drawer liner from the dollar store. This protects them from dust and I throw in any dessicant packets we get from shoes, electronics, whatever. They do not rust at all and are in an uncontrolled environment. It works well if you can find one for cheap or free.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep mine in a file cabinet near my bench. It's a three drawer, knee high one I got from my wife's office when they got new furniture. Heavy duty, full extension drawers. Lined the drawers with that rubber drawer liner from the dollar store. This protects them from dust and I throw in any dessicant packets we get from shoes, electronics, whatever. They do not rust at all and are in an uncontrolled environment. It works well if you can find one for cheap or free.
That's actually a good idea. I have 4 file cabinets in my shop. I have a three drawer that I have all my drill bits and accessories in. And I was just looking at the files in one of the 4 drawer cabinets and thinking I don't need hardly any of that stuff any more. That might just be a good project for next weekend to clean that out and make room for tools. :thumbsup:

·
TheCosmo
10 Posts
I have 9 planes that I use on a regular basis including a #8 L-N and they fit well on a shelf under my bench. The shelf has dividers and a strip for each plane to raise the toe to keep the iron from sitting on the wood. There is still plenty of room for the bench hook, shooting board and the Moxon vise.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I’ve been thinking about the drawer idea that ACP and David mentioned and realized that I do have a drawer big enough to work. It’s only a temporary solution right now because I’m still not sure what I’m going to do with it. I emptied an old drawer that I kept hardware in and put the planes in it for a fit test. They all fit and there is even room for the No7, but no more. I cut a piece of scrap plywood for a shelf to hold the smaller planes and it’s just standing on blocks unfastened to hold it up so I can see it all together. The only problem I see now is that there isn’t room for block planes that I don’t have yet. I don’t know how I’m going to fit them in.

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
stand them on end to the left of the no. 7... if they will fit

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
I keep my users in an old 3 drawer dresser along with my chisels.use carpet to line the drawers and add some wheels and you have a nice roll around for the shop. oh and I glued carpet on the top too.....I have swatted a few chisels off the workbench and found it doesnt happen if they are on the dresser instead of the bench

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Do you have room underneath a workbench/table to build a couple of drawers? Storing the planes on their sides the drawers only have to be about 4" high for most planes.

Here's a pic of a chest I just built. The bottom two drawers are 4" deep and hold my planes. You can't see it in this picture, but two #4s, #5, and #7 are in the bottom drawer with room to spare.

If you had room a couple of drawers 24" wide the depth of a workbench would probably hold most of what you have.
second drawer.jpg

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stand them on end to the left of the no. 7... if they will fit
You mean hang them on the side? Umm that sounds like an idea.
I was trying to come up with a small shelf that pivots from the front so it can swing it from side to side giving me room to pull the planes out from the bottom.

I keep my users in an old 3 drawer dresser along with my chisels.use carpet to line the drawers and add some wheels and you have a nice roll around for the shop. oh and I glued carpet on the top too.....I have swatted a few chisels off the workbench and found it doesnt happen if they are on the dresser instead of the bench
Oh I like the carpet idea and I do have some small scraps.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My workbench is actually an old desk that I built in 1978 on a $50 budget with only a wormdrive saw and a drill. I used to have drawer fronts on it, but pulled them off years ago to use on something else. Right now I have my dust collection under it for my MiterSaw and I kind of like it there so I don’t have to deal with the hoses. Oh I also added a thick top to work on.

Someday if and when I ever move to a larger shop, I’ll build a new bench with a lot of storage underneath. :smile:

Reactions: tc65
1 - 14 of 14 Posts