Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 8" Jointer. I have been checking my local Craigslist and occasionally one comes up but it is pretty rare. I have ruled out the Grizzly machines. I know some folks love them but I am not considering them for a Jointer. I have a floor model Grizzly drill press and it has been ok but not great.

Anyway, I do not want to spend more than $1500. I have reviewed a lot of machines and the only machine that makes sense is the Jet. I am ok with straight knives and I do not really care about parallelogram tables.

What is the forum's advice on 8" machines.

Can anyone comment on the Jet JJ-8CS?

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't why you ruled out Grizzly, and Jet is the same as Grizzly. I have the 8" Grizzly and love it, never a problem.
I guess it depends on you budget. Just order a powermatic and be done if money is no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,318 Posts
What state do you live in? Normally equipment is easier to find on the east or west coast. Right now there is a 12" Cresent joiner for sale in California for $729.00 on ebay. It's old but that is a plus in my book. There is also a Rockwell 37-315 8" jointer with a starting bid 150 bucks. It's in Lompoc California.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jet JJ-8CS is an old model. I guess it was launched way back in 1999. I was just seeing its customer reviews and most were not so encouraging. For one it has start-up problems. Also ensure that you have 220v wiring supply for this tool to start, if you are buying it.
You can check Shop Fox W1741 8" jointer also. It is priced at around $1,200.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What state do you live in? Normally equipment is easier to find on the east or west coast. Right now there is a 12" Cresent joiner for sale in California for $729.00 on ebay. It's old but that is a plus in my book. There is also a Rockwell 37-315 8" jointer with a starting bid 150 bucks. It's in Lompoc California.
Thanks for the advice. I live near Ft Lauderdale, FL

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have the JJ8CS, bought new in 2000. At that time the choice in jointers isn't nearly as good as it is today and for the price the Jet seemed to be the best deal. Like you I didn't care for a parallelogram model. It's been a good jointer for me. 2 years go I converted to a shelix head, and while that's nice it's not necessary. About 6 months after I got the jointer, I blew a start cap....a call to Jet got a replacement Fedex'd immediately. That's been the only problem. It arrived turn-key. Tables were dead nuts aligned, all the castings were straight. That said, I doubt it's any better than any other chiwanese jointer, and the beds are "only" 66". Some of the newer ones have longer beds. BTW, it must be an older design than 1999, my manual is copyrighted 1990, so I would guess it's even an older design than that.

Reactions: bahamaboy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the JJ8CS, bought new in 2000. At that time the choice in jointers isn't nearly as good as it is today and for the price the Jet seemed to be the best deal. Like you I didn't care for a parallelogram model. It's been a good jointer for me. 2 years go I converted to a shelix head, and while that's nice it's not necessary. About 6 months after I got the jointer, I blew a start cap....a call to Jet got a replacement Fedex'd immediately. That's been the only problem. It arrived turn-key. Tables were dead nuts aligned, all the castings were straight. That said, I doubt it's any better than any other chiwanese jointer, and the beds are "only" 66". Some of the newer ones have longer beds. BTW, it must be an older design than 1999, my manual is copyrighted 1990, so I would guess it's even an older design than that.
Thanks Fred. The $1500 price point presents some interesting choices. I can get a decked out Grizzly, a Jet or a Baleigh. I do not know anything about the Baleigh but with only a 1 year warranty compared to the Jet, the Jet wins in my opinion. Now the question is whether the Jet is a notch above the Grizzly. There are no local retailers which show the Jet on display so I can check it out. I have seen the 6" jet and it seems like a nice machine.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can only offer my opinion, but I have seen some Grizzly 8" machines, and I don't consider my Jet any better...I see them as about equal. I think if you're partial to one company over the other, I'd choose based on that...unless there was a huge price difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can only offer my opinion, but I have seen some Grizzly 8" machines, and I don't consider my Jet any better...I see them as about equal. I think if you're partial to one company over the other, I'd choose based on that...unless there was a huge price difference.
Fred, do you know which Grizzly jointer you were comparing the Jet? Was it the entry level Grizzly? G0686 which is a sub $1000 jointer?

Did you have to shim your Jet to get the tables co-planer? How about the cutterhead?

Thanks, Bill

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
FWIW, One of my shop moves required additional machinery. I ordered many from LeNeave Supply. I don't know where they were made, but all of the machines operated flawlessly. You might consider their 8" jointer, as it will likely be less than the Jet.

If it's not in your budget, watch for an older Powermatic or Delta.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Fred, do you know which Grizzly jointer you were comparing the Jet? Was it the entry level Grizzly? G0686 which is a sub $1000 jointer?

Did you have to shim your Jet to get the tables co-planer? How about the cutterhead?

Thanks, Bill

Sorry, I don't remember the exact model numbers. I do remember the older one had levers on each table and 1.5 HP motor, so it was almost certainly the entry level 8" fot it's time. The other one was newer, and was almost exactly like my Jet...hand wheels on each table and a 2HP motor. My jointer was good to go right out of the packing crate, tables co planer, and the cutterhead level to the tables. When I replaced the cutterhead, it was a no fuss changeover. Bolted the new one right back into place and it was right where it should have been. Thinking about those levers on the Griz reminded me, when I bought mine hand wheels one each table was important to me. The levers always struck me as a little too coarse for fine adjusting. Then over the last 12 years or so I've had my jointer I think I've adjusted the table maybe a dozen times, so I guess it wasn't as big a deal as i though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I don't remember the exact model numbers. I do remember the older one had levers on each table and 1.5 HP motor, so it was almost certainly the entry level 8" fot it's time. The other one was newer, and was almost exactly like my Jet...hand wheels on each table and a 2HP motor. My jointer was good to go right out of the packing crate, tables co planer, and the cutterhead level to the tables. When I replaced the cutterhead, it was a no fuss changeover. Bolted the new one right back into place and it was right where it should have been. Thinking about those levers on the Griz reminded me, when I bought mine hand wheels one each table was important to me. The levers always struck me as a little too coarse for fine adjusting. Then over the last 12 years or so I've had my jointer I think I've adjusted the table maybe a dozen times, so I guess it wasn't as big a deal as i though.
Yes. Totally agree on the hand wheels over the levers. If you buy a good jointer though, you should rarely make any adjustments, if ever. You do have to adjust the outfeed slightly as the knives wear but that is about it. That has been my experience anyway. You probably have more experience than I but I know what I like.

My expectation is that a jointer should be close to ready to go right out of the box. I expect some fuss with the outfeed table to get it aligned but I do not expect to have to shim the cutterhead, outfeed table and repair the fence on a new machine. Yes, I am drawing from experience and thus my search for a jointer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So,...

Do any of you , or I should say, have any of you owned or had the privilage of usining OWWM.......?

Just an honest question......:blink:

B,
Sorry about that. Did not mean to ignore your posts. I have visited the site. Is there something on the site that I should be paying attention to?

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts