Woodworking Talk banner

Looking for a table saw

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rrich 
Hi,
I am new to the forum and pretty inexperienced with woodworking. I have a 14x18 shed in the backyard that I would like to turn into a woodshop. The first thing I would like to do is buy a table saw so I can start completing some big projects in my home.....all the kitchen cabinets, all the trim, bathroom cabinets, stairs, and railings.

nothing like jumping in with both feet!

After reading a bunch of reviews, I went to Home Depot and purchased a Rigid R4512. Long story short, the cast iron wasnt flat on one side and the stamped steel extensions were twisted. I decided I would rather purchase a quality product and returned the saw to the store.

I read the old unisaws are very good. Ive located one in the area for $1300 with some extras. Http://lasalle.craigslist.org/tls/4050162029.html

I also am not opposed to spending much less. This delta contractor saw is still available for $350 http://quadcities.craigslist.org/tls/4072059156.html

the problem with those deltas is that they are right tilt saws. there's a reason almost all new TSs have riving knives and are left tilt and that reason is safety.

I would also be willing to buy a new saw.

Taking into account my relative inexperience, but need to renovate the majority of my home, what kind of saw should I be looking at? Quality is the number one factor in the purchase.

Cheers
too bad you couldn't get a 4512. perhaps the griz 0715 would be a good option. 2 hp motor and the fence that was on the one i saw in muncy was big, beefy and first rate. if timing isn't an issue, CL is a great way to find good values, but patience may be required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.