Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished a music book shelf for a gift and realized how much I like having a project always on the go as being without one at the moment haha... And was wondering if someone has any ideas of something I could start on, I'm not so much into making furnature, but prefer whether it's games or patterns for a scroll saw portrait or stuff related to that... anyways you got the point, agian if anyone has any ideas please post, oh and tools we have tools haha including a pentagraph if anyones heard of it lol,thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I'm between projects I like to make jigs and other shop stuff. My last one was hangers for all my clamps. I made the different hangers for the different types of clamps then mounted them all on a wall. I also am trying to get a vacum system installed. I need to make a manifold and some gates. On the days that are just to cold to get in the shop I like to surf the web, down loading ideas that I might like to try on warmer days.

Mike

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was going to make a bench to put by the front door with storage for shoes. I saw it in a mag. and started drawing up some plans. I love fixing up the shop when I'm not doing a project. I made a real nice base for my table saw. In the last week I ran 3 dedicated 120 and a 240 circuit. I hooked up some baseboard heat. You almost need sunglasses I have so many lights now. I'm an electrician for my real job, so I get lot's of leftover stuff for free. I made new oak jaws for my new to me Wilton vice. I guess I'm going to make a new base for my jointer next. Well back to this bench. I was thinking maybe instead of baskets, have tip out bins, and maybe make it 3 wide instead of 2 bins. There's the shelf above it also is nice for a shelf.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks for the ideas and tips guys I'll see what I'll end up doing... oh and coffeetime you should invest in a heater for your garage i know we have one in our garage and it works awsome.

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
Please post a photo of your music bookshelf!

I have been looking for a way to organize the "music corner" of our house. I have been shopping for music cabinets, but would be interested in making a bookshelf. We need to store music books, reeds, pencils, metronomes and various other stuff.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
haha thanks yeah no the base is just a stained pine board :smile: very exotic lol. The clefs are western red ceder I believe and the cross peices are pine and the back supporters are again western red ceder I think just a different shade.

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture! It looks good! Nice job. Now that I see it, I do recall seeing the previous posting. I mistakenly thought you were talking about a bookcase rather than a book shelf. You did say "shelf".

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
music book shelf

Hands made for wood,
I am writing this with a grin. I saw your post and the 'music book shelf' caught my eye. When I saw the photo...WHOA! Nice job! And thank you very much for the acknowledgement. I do appreciate it. Tell me about your shelf. How much time did it take you? What woods are in the different pieces? Oh, and I DO know what a pentagraph is. Did you use it to make the clef notes? Anyway, I am even MORE impressed with you than I was before. You are awesome. It's not many people your age who have the initiative and confidence to jump into these types of projects. I cannot express how supercool I think that is.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey Mark I just thought I'd thank you for the encouragement and comments. I figured that it would be the right thing to give the credit where credits due but thanks again for the picture... My Mom told me that this shelf or bookcase would be to ambtiuos but I went ahead with it and finished it in 3 days and 1 night, it was a fun project. The back supporters, base, and clefs are all made of two pieces, I would have rathered make them with 2 by 8's but unfortunatly we didn't have some and I wanted to get started on it right away:smile:. the clefs are made of western red ceder I believe and the base is pine the cross pieces are pine and the back supporters to be honest I'm not exactly sure what they are I'm thinking they might be western red ceder just a darker shade, oh and the clefs weren't made with the pentagraph, have you ever used one before and if so do you have any tips or different things you can make with it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts