Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm located in north San Diego county and I'm in search for a mentor to guide me in the ways of this trade. I'm a Marine veteran and I've been doing carpentry and woodworking for a little over a year. Currently I'm a student and have been doing commisioned pieces on the side.

Ideally, I'd like to find a custom furniture designer/builder to shadow or apprentice. I want it to be clear that I am not looking for a job, but more of a learning opportunity that may benefit both parties.

If interested please PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in Santee, but I have no clue what I'm doing. You're welcome to come over and watch me make the wrong cuts and curse at all of my power tools.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I could teach you everything you shouldn't do but the commute would be a real bear.

Thank you for your service and best of luck!

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This thread sucks, right? Sorry I didn't think of this earlier. I work in Miramar and I swing by Rockler on Clairemont Mesa whenever I have extra time at lunch. Almost all the guys that work there are retired, E-8/9 from Navy and Marine Corps. They'd definitely have an answer or advice. Scott and Alan are always the most helpful.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Get into the program at Palomar college. Not only will you learn but the instructors have contacts and may be able to aim you in the right connection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started working at a cabinet shop in escondido about 2 months ago. It's working out pretty well but I'm not learning as much as I'd like to. I also signed up for the CFT 100 class at Palomar. I'm looking forward to that and hoping I can gain a great deal of knowledge from those guys.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts