Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm in the market for a dedicated plunge router. It must be at least 2hp. I have a Bosch 1617evs two base kit.
I generally use either a PC or Bosch as I have had good luck with both. I use a PC 7518 for my router table and love it and I see the 7519 is it's companion but way to much router for me.
I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on a new router.
Thanks, Eric

·
7,222 Posts
I have a Bosch 1617EVS in my router table and an older Bosch 1613EVS for plunge router.

Both have given me lots of years of good service.

Whatever you purchase, I would look at the amperage ratings.

It is not possible to run a real 2HP motor on 120V since it takes too many amps and would be far too heavy for hand held use. The marketing folks for some strange reason fudge the rating.

I would look for a router with 12 - 15 amp full load rating. Some may say 2HP, some may say 3HP.

For example, Bosch sell the 1617EVS as a "2.25HP max" router, but it only pulls 12 amp at full load.

If you already have the 1617EVS with both bases, why not just purchase another 1617EVS? Good to have a spare.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang it! There you go thinking again :laughing: Now why didn't I think of that, I know why, but I ain't gonna tell you. That's a really good idea Dave, why not just buy another motor.
Damm, you're good.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's not always possible to buy just the motor (at a reasonable price). Check into getting another kit and then sell the bases off to recoup some of your money. You may come out spending less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts