Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make a new table for our screen porch. I'd like for it to be about 42" round with a drop leaf so it can be a half circle shape for use against a wall, but I'd also like for it to expand to seat six or eight. You guys always seem to find clever designs. Anybody seen anything like that?

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Lots of designs at (Link Removed - violates forum copyrighted material posting rules) Some more simple, some very complex, but almost all can be adapted to your own skill level and availability of materials.. Bunch of drop leaf designs.. (Link Removed - violates forum copyrighted material posting rules)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finding a design that expands as well as folding in half may be a challenge.
Of course it will be a challenge; that’s why I came to you guys! I don’t think I’ve ever come up with something that somebody here wasn’t able to answer!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sometime in the past year (past six months?) someone posted a clever table design on WoodworkingTalk that might be a start. I searched for it, but could not find it. They posted images as well. Something like that is how I would design a table to your requirements.

Describing what I saw here on WoodworkingTalk:
Imagine a long table where half of the table folds down along the long axis. Behind the folded panel are two gate hinge legs that swing out to support the top when it is raised up, forming a full table. The swung-out legs are symmetric with the fixed legs on the rigid side. The two gate fold legs swing in and the half folds down behind them, and the table can be placed with the folded side against the wall. If it were my design, I would add latches to the open gate fold legs to prevent them from accidentally folding in.

You could make the table rectangular or round. If a round table design protrudes too far from the wall to fit your six or eight person seating, see the next paragraph.

Adding a variation:

A long time ago, a close friend designed and built a stunning dining table in a somewhat narrow oval shape. The table was designed so that the seating is entirely on the sides. With that table design, six people sit three-opposite-three. Trust me, it is a tour-de-force of art and function. The spacing and proportions are perfect. In use, there is no crowding or lack of space.

An oval design like that would reduce how far the folded table would protrude from the wall. The rounded shape would be attractive.

I apologize, but I am better with words than I am with drawing tools like Sketchup. @Quickstep can send me a PM if he needs me to try to draw it on paper and scan it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
PM received. I'll see what I can do.

-> Can anyone else find that gate leg table that someone posted here, where one side of the table folded along the long axis with that side's legs gated-in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts