Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wore out two small saws with the work that I am doing. Started getting into wood working as a hobby about 4 years ago. Wanted something to do that I enjoy in my later years. Not a craftsman but desire to be, but good enough that people started asking me to build things for them. From that to today as I said I have a need for a table saw. Looking for something that will stay with me for a while and something I can move to the next step of doing better work. Considering a Unisaw, used, cannot not afford a new one. Looking at one on Craiglist for 750. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/tls/4074898609.html Would like input on what you think about this buy?

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is definitely a good buy especially with that fence. If you have the room and don't mind the right tilt go for it.

·
7,222 Posts
+1 joining the concensus, good deal, good saw, great fence, get over and buy this before someone else snags it.

Get the Incra mitre gauge while you are there. I have two of them.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Which would you go with. The Unisaw or this Powermatic? http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/4046255052.html
the unisaw is a better deal, but i sold the one i rehabbed as i'm not a fan of right tilt saws. as it;s a used saw, i'd go with the PM, again because it's a left tilt.

BTW, to give you a frame of reference, i sold this refurbed unisaw last october for $850. it had a new arbor and bearings, new shaft and motor (OEM 3 hp baldor) bearings, delta mobile base , new belts and the OEM jet lock fence.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Good choices. Looks like the Powermatic is newer.

Both are good saws and likely either will meet your future needs.

I have the new style Unisaw and love it. This is my second saw with a Biesemeyer fence.

I would give the nod to the Unisaw, I feel the Biesemeyer fence is better than the Powermatic fence.

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
I would check to see if the Powermatic was one of the newer ones made in china, the older ones weren't, but then I think the newer Unisaws are made in china now also, I could be wrong about that. If both were made in USA or both in china I would go with the Powermatic because it showes it is a left tilt and I love a left tilt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd go with the PM due to it being left tilt (safer), but you honestly can't go wrong with either one - those are some fantastic deals.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would check to see if the Powermatic was one of the newer ones made in china, the older ones weren't, but then I think the newer Unisaws are made in china now also, I could be wrong about that. If both were made in USA or both in china I would go with the Powermatic because it showes it is a left tilt and I love a left tilt.
If you hop on 40 and drive about 5 hours west you'll find the Unisaw plant in Jackson TN. :smile: (we're originally form Sevierville :smile:)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
you can't go wrong with either.......but probably go with the powermatic as its got a left tilt instead of a right......

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
If you hop on 40 and drive about 5 hours west you'll find the Unisaw plant in Jackson TN. :smile: (we're originally form Sevierville :smile:)
Marv, I built a few houses in Jackson years back.

I like it up around Sevierville, it is beautiful up that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts