Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Longworth chuck at the woodworking show today and it would be ideal for some of my banjo work. Only thing is, if the Longworth is mounted in my chuck, the workpiece will end up over the bed. If the chuck could be mounted directly to the spindle, the workpiece would be over the gap in my gap bed lathe and would allow me to do slightly larger diameters. Anybody ever seen a Longworth chuck that mounts right to the spindle? My spindle is 1-1/2"/8tpi

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Another option: get a Beall wood tap that matches your lathe spindle, then you can take any block of wood & drill and tap it to mount on the spindle. A Longworth chuck could then be attached to this block -- essentially, you make your own faceplate.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know if this will help but it may be an option for you to look into. PSI Woodworking Products makes what they call a 8-1/2 inch bowl finishing chuck, it is not a Longworth but rather a flat jaw chuck Part #LCJC8. I found one on Amazon.com for $110.95. I believe Penn State Industries also sells these. This chuck comes with 1"-8 spindle threads so you would need an adapter and if the jaw capacity is not large enough Penn State Industries also sells a flat jaw extension kit that is bigger in diameter that comes pre-drilled to bolt on to the jaws to accept larger diameter work. Penn State's part #CRJA, $39.95.
I know I am a "Newbie" but the only reason that I know a good bit about this is because I have been researching my options for a lathe chuck for about 2 months now and I still have not made up my mind!!! I have not done any research on how good any of these products are though so you may want to do your own research on quality of these products.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I beleive you'd have to build your own. I don't believe anybody makes one with 1 1/2x8. Beal doesn't sell a tap that size. You could buy a tap from Enco or MSC in that size but my guess is it would run about $50 or higher.
Use one of your old faceplates. file a notch on the side you can remove or install it in the exact same position each time by putting a matching mark on the wood.
Barring that there are many other ways to reverse mount bowls or platters to turn the bottom. Here is a link to our club website. Go to the tips and projects page and look up my article on Methods of reverse turning bowls and you may find a method that will work for you.
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/tips--links-and-projects.html

·
7,222 Posts
Apparently Beall does sell a 1 1/2in x 8 tpi tap.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/spindletap.php

I would get the tap since it is so useful to make faceplates, jam chucks etc.

Drill then tap a piece of wood, mount it on the spindle and then true up the face. I have found the tapping step is not easy to get this to stay exactly in line with the headstock. For me it is easier to tap then true up afterwards.

Once you have the wood block then you can glue or screw this to a Longworth chuck you make or purchase.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello john I was reading one of your old posts about your nova outrigger and some mods you made to it I was wondering if you had any pics of the mods you made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts