Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys. I am really in need of your advice. I want to bore 40cm deep in wood. What bit would you recommend to drill so long? Thanks.

·
Registered
26,365 Posts
What diameter bit, accuracy and what kind of wood is it? There are paddle bits that can easily drill a hole that deep but are not very accurate.

·
where's my table saw?
27,895 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,895 Posts
Not so

I wouldn't use a threaded point auger bit with a power source. Those types are designed to work slow with a hand brace. For longer than jobber length, a long drill bit, AKA as a "bellhangers bit" come in lengths that can do what you want. They are probably available in both 135° and 118° points.

The hand brace bits have square tapered shank that fit on a 2 jaw chuck.

The electrician's augers have a 3 side shank which is meant to be inserted in a power drill. I have used this type for years with no issues except you have better hang on 'cause it will drill agressively. I just used a 3/4" bit yesterday for a wiring project. I have about 20 in different sizes and lengths and used them in battery power drills on slow speed and in 1/2 corded drills which run about 500 RPMs. :yes:

·
Registered
1 Posts

I wouldn't use a threaded point auger bit with a power source. Those types are designed to work slow with a hand brace. For longer than jobber length, a long drill bit, AKA as a "bellhangers bit" come in lengths that can do what you want. They are probably available in both 135° and 118° points.

A little off-topic, but that looks amazing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts