Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When you said "Long Board" I thought Duke Kahanamoku style.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
RRich

" When you said "Long Board" I thought Duke Kahanamoku style."

I thot he just hadn't had anythang two doo fer uh wile.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I thought the same thing, jharris. I was hoping for a surfboard build thread. Longboard skateboards are significantly shorter builds (and boards) and still quite cool too.

I am curious why you'd through-mount the trucks though. Seems to me the right choice would be to surface mount them on the bottom of the board with the mounting screws going through the deck. Did you want lower clearance or something?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"drop though" trucks are pretty standard now on longboards, to get the rider lower to the ground. Longboarding is all about "sliding"... or so my son says. I also had to make him sliding gloves by cutting up a plastic cutting board and gluing the pieces to leather gloves.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That board is really nice Tim and is great father son project.

I think you and your boy could sell them.

More father son time and a few extra bucks for shop goodies?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Would you mind posting some dimensions of the board. I think you did a great job and would like to build one for my kid. Maybe the wood type also.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
"drop though" trucks are pretty standard now on longboards, to get the rider lower to the ground. Longboarding is all about "sliding"... or so my son says. I also had to make him sliding gloves by cutting up a plastic cutting board and gluing the pieces to leather gloves.
Long board is right. Are the screws for the wheel assemblies driven just down into the board, or are they machine bolts with washers and nuts on the bottom side, or tee nuts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This one is 9.5" wide x 38" long with a 29" wheelbase. This shape was what my kid wanted, you can do any shape really. The drop through cutouts are just big enough for your specific trucks to fit through.

The trucks are bolted all the way through with washers and lock nuts on the underside.

1/2" maple plywood is best, birch if you can't find maple.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's so cool! Kids these days want one. Mine is still very young. Hope someday I can build as good as yours when he'll be asking for it. Great job on it. By the looks on his face, he's proud of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts