Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 small black walnut logs from a guy i know. He said if i make 2 pens from them he'll pay me over 20 a piece if their quality (I wouldn't give him anything I wouldn't show off). Can I take these raw logs and make pens from them? Will there be problems? They are completely dry and I sealed the ends with some latex paint to minimize moisture problems.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
How small is small? Im willing to bet that once you cut those logs open, especially since you say you coated the ends grain, they arnt dry. That said, if you cut a couple pen blanks out, it wont take too long to dry them. When I cut pen blanks from green wod, I typically cut them at 1", that gives you plenty of room if the wood shrinks, twists, bows, etc. Seal the ends and put them on a shelf and theyll be dry in a few weeks.:thumbsup:

What kind of pens does he want? Just curious is all. When I first started selling pens, I was selling them for 20 bucks or less too and it didnt take long to figure out a penturner will go broke in a hurry selling pens for 20 bucks! Then again, you got some wood in the deal so....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How small is small? Im willing to bet that once you cut those logs open, especially since you say you coated the ends grain, they arnt dry. That said, if you cut a couple pen blanks out, it wont take too long to dry them. When I cut pen blanks from green wod, I typically cut them at 1", that gives you plenty of room if the wood shrinks, twists, bows, etc. Seal the ends and put them on a shelf and theyll be dry in a few weeks.:thumbsup:

What kind of pens does he want? Just curious is all. When I first started selling pens, I was selling them for 20 bucks or less too and it didnt take long to figure out a penturner will go broke in a hurry selling pens for 20 bucks! Then again, you got some wood in the deal so....
Ill see if I can get a picture of the logs. They are about 1.5 inches in diameter. He wants slimline pens.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
1.5"? Those are sticks. You said small logs!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
:laughing::laughing:
Guess it's a matter of perspective.
the last few turnings for me started with pieces of wood that weighed around 30-40 lbs a piece. So if those are logs :blink:, I must be using trunks. (Come to think of it.... I do :yes:)
Just a little fun at your expense.
Those pieces should turn some nice pens since they'll have a lot of ring figuring. I haven't had the inclination to turn small things---yet.
Dave H

1 - 7 of 7 Posts