Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to find logging/sawmills places along I-75 from Orlando to Atlanta and back at the end of this month.

I'm a woodturner and looking for maple, sycamore, cherry, in sizes of 6-12 in diameter and lengths up to 12-18 inches. This is so I can try to Urns and vases.

So far I've googled it without much success. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
79 Posts
Come on down to Texas

:smile:Come on down to Texas in September and help me log and you can take back, burl like HICKORY,RED OAK, WHITE OAK so what do you say!!!:eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try looking up Fuqua Sawmill. It's about a mile East of I-75 at the U.S. 27 exit. Their address is 1761 34th Ave. N.W., Ocala, Florida 34475 and their phone number is 352-629-4713. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
:smile:Come on down to Texas in September and help me log and you can take back, burl like HICKORY,RED OAK, WHITE OAK so what do you say!!!:eek:
I'm in NM and will travel to TX for burls of hickory & oak. Got pictures & sizes? Lumberjacking is hard, dangerous work. A kid might feel good getting $10/hr. offloading the mill, but I have my own chainsaws & sawmill, and would need a better deal. If there are enough large burls, we could work on shares. But it needs to be a hefty load of burl before I will haul my equipment down there. My mill is a Linn 1900 with 36" capability, and my chainsaws are Stihl ms170, 029, 390, 460, & 084, bars ranging from 12-36". Have my own cant hooks as well.

What i'm interested in is large burls, not knots or bulged grain. 24" diameter minimum, which is a couple hundred pounds or more for each burl. Here's an example pic of a burl i'd be interested in:

Pictures of the burls you have with a soda can beside each one for reference, will help me determine how large & how many, as well as whether to invest time in negotiating terms. I appreciate it.

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sawmills along I-75

To Alexanderbuzzsaw: Thanks for the offer but its roughly sixteen hour drive to your town. Additionally I'm a disabled veteran and could only supervise but my wife could load wood into our van!!!

Thanks to all who information. I will definitely check on the Fuqua and ocala locations.

Again thanks, ya'll are awesome.

Rex

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rex, thanks for your service and sorry for your injury.
A good resource is to google some of the sawmill manufacturers, like woodmizer, etc. They often keep a listing of owners that mill for a living. There are plenty in mid to north florida. Happy hunting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts