Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawmill Vehicle Machine Machine tool Soil

Sawmill Vehicle Machine Machine tool Soil

Wood Lumber Wood stain Hardwood Table

Floor Wood Plywood Table Flooring

Chair Furniture Wood Table Room

Wood Hardwood Furniture Table Wood stain

Chair Furniture Rocking chair Room Hardwood

This is my first attempt at posting pictures so beware! I still get all giddy when your able to take a log that was destined to become firewood and make something useful out of it. Somewhere along the line I saw a Charles Brock rocking chair and decided I needed to make one. I started on this project Sept. 3 and just wished I kept track of the time. Hope the pictures download and hope you enjoy. DEW

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tenessee Tim actually inspired me (thx) to cut the forked log to get the feathered crotch wood. I have several slabs that I air dried,based on pictures he posted, for a couple years. If you look closely you can see how the chalked up slab ended centered on the seat. I would recommend the Charles Brock plans to all as they are good but be prepared for alot of work and alot of sanding.:yes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is the most spectacular chair I have ever seen. If you have children give that one to one of them to rock your grandkids in. It is sure to be passed on for generations to come. You will be remembered through that chair. My father made a baby cradle for my wife when she had our first. She gave it to our daughter when she had her first, she gave it to our grand daughter when she had her first. She is going to give it to the first of my fathers great, great, great grand kids to have a child. He would be proud. I think you should be too.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
WOW!!!! Simply GORGEOUS!!!

I'm glad something I sawed inspired you...man it's just beautiful. Daren's kilns are also awesome!!! I've got walnut in mine now and nearing time to sterilize....BUT I have a good/bad problem....I've ran out of final KD storage/showroom space.

That's awesome the crotch was a wide growth and no trash to affect the strength. What and how did you apply finish???

I'm so glad to see a from log to product thread...hey from the look of the sawn lumber and the rocker, I'd say "..your double talented!!!"

Congrats and have a Blessed day,
Tim

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
I had to go back and look again.....LOVE that rocker!!! GREAT JOB!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Tim, for the finish I used several coats of tung oil followed by several coats of wiping varnish. My plans are building one for each of my children. Last night I brought home a bunch of Qtr Sawn White Oak for the next chair. My buddy and I bought an older Woodmizer LT30 manual mill and that works at about the right speed for an older guy like my self. I use mostly urban logs and its amazing how nice some of them are. If I can find a picture I will show some cherry and white oak that needs to be sawn yet. I too am running out of storage room. And Darens kiln is another story. Thx for letting me share with you.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Logs to furniture

Dew
Outstanding! Great job. Thanks for sharing.
If I understand correctly, you posted these pictures from your I-Pad?
I haven't been able to post from my I-Pad, so I could really use some instruction.
Also, your rocker reminds me of one Jimmy Carter built and auctioned off for thousands $$$.
Again, great job on both the project and the pictures.
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
reminds me of a Sam Maloof chair.

question; what is the moisture content when starting the chair?

been playin around with rustic pcs..
lesson learned-
1.drill a hole in ''green'' pine, as pine shrinks, hole gets bigger.
2.after baked twigs and branches cool to room temp, they seem to swell a bit

conclusion; get longer nails :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was just air dried (about 15%) to start with but sat in heated shop (winter) for about a year. I believe it was about 10% when I sawed ithe seat blank. 10% is the very very highest moisture percent I use and that is marginal!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts