Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
ok, I am sure this has been covered more than once, however, I am wanting to build some log furniture using white birch. The issue that I might encounter is that is green birch. I know what happens to green wood if not properly dried or kiln dried. so the question is how can I build with it now and it not crack later. This is for dining chairs so the most I will be using is 3 inch diameter. any tips will be helpful. I am in New York so with the winter season right around the corner it will be sometime for this wood to dry and Kiln is not an option. So what tips can I get so I can get started

Thanks All

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have done that and what I did was to peel the bark, smooth the wood, then coat it with linseed oil every day for a week or so, making sure you wipe down the excess. If the weather is hot and sunny, do it for a couple of weeks, though that's probably not relevant right now. I have had good success with this method. Occasional minute checking, but mostly none at all. Be generous on the ends of the limbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts