Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am trying to come up with a way to make a pattern of the horizontal wall logs of my house, as they meet the drywall of the inside walls, so I can cut molding to coutour and block out light and noise from the next room. Have 9' ceilings, so pattern can be made in 2/3 sections, but can't think of anything that will mold then harden to be used as a pattern. Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Log Cabin,
Could you post some pics? I have seen guys route a groove in the logs to accept the drywall. If your studwalls are up already this wouldn't work to easily. You get a good scribing tool and use a piece of 1/4" luan for your pattern. Tack a strip (3-4" wide) on the wall up against your logs, set your scriber up and trace the pattern onto the luan. Cut it out on the bandsaw and you would have a pattern to work with.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, True North Log Homes has a great book that includes many details that might help you. I don't work for them but have attended one of their workshops at a trade show and they are very knowledgable and consumer friendly [email protected]
Joshuastrees.net:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Chief pencil holder
280 Posts
Log Cabin,
Could you post some pics? I have seen guys route a groove in the logs to accept the drywall. If your studwalls are up already this wouldn't work to easily. You get a good scribing tool and use a piece of 1/4" luan for your pattern. Tack a strip (3-4" wide) on the wall up against your logs, set your scriber up and trace the pattern onto the luan. Cut it out on the bandsaw and you would have a pattern to work with.
Mike Hawkins;)

This I would do, get a good pattern, and carve away. You can also use heavy cardboard; and just cut with a sharp razorblade. You can usually find for free if you look around. Time and patience.

·
where's my table saw?
29,437 Posts
Sell him a new log home?

If you are looking for quality custom log homes in the U.S, Canada or Europe, you should consider Brian Moore Log Homes. They build incredible houses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts