Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a log bed and its not going very well so far...I have very little furniture making skills so bare with me. I'm having trouble getting the bottom of the logs level for my head board and footboard. I cut the bottom rail for my FB already, but I just eye balled it so I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be straight. I know nothing will be perfect but I don't want it crooked. The top rail is really gnarly and twisted " I will post pics tomorrow" and I'm having trouble figuring out how to cut it so its the right length and how to get the tennons level so it won't be crooked when I put the FB together... Any ideas and tips will be sooooo appreciated!!! Thanks for your time!! image.jpg

·
Hunter
240 Posts
Building a log bed is not an easy task. Especially when you are using crooked logs, a lot of making it look right is more of an art than a science. I would recommend starting with building a log bench or chair with straighter logs to get experience in assembly and then working up to the bed.

When it comes to cutting the headboard, I would lay the logs out how you want them to look and carefully mark each mortise and tenon. Even when you carefully lay out and mark, assembly often involves a lot of clamps and big mallets to get everything into place.

Hunter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
image.jpg

I used a belt sander to get the bottom of the posts level. That was really easy. Ill post more when I'm finished with the footboard. Nest is the top rail and the spindles....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
image.jpg

Here's what I have so far... I still can't get the bottoms level... Haha... The footboard is level but the headboard is about. 1/4 inch off on one side...

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Rustic is not supposed to be all that level. If it was precise, it wouldn't be rustic. Stop while you're ahead. Are you going to use steel rails, or will this go the whole monty?

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Agree with net doc.
Yea it's rustic. If it were even than it would be to easy. Lol.
Looks real good!!!! I like how it's coming.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Net doc: It's gonna be all wood although I was thinking of putting eye bolts and turn buckles to keep it all tight...i like the scuba pic. im a commercial diver by trade and havent got to play in scuba for along time now. i bet key largo is awesome!! i lived in pensacola for about 4 years that was fun...
Maybe someone can lend me some more constructive criticism. From what I've read and by what I can gather by pictures online I built the bottom of the headboard to be three inches below the top of the headboard." My wife hates it haha she thinks its too high she wants the bottom to be closer to the floor. I disagree b/c you'll never see it." Is there a common place for this to go or more like wherever you want it.... Thanks for the likes guys!!! I appreciate it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dominick: did you carve that piece in your profile pic? If so that's really friggin cool... That's some talent!!!

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Madmike84 said:
Dominick: did you carve that piece in your profile pic? If so that's really friggin cool... That's some talent!!!
Yes I did. There's more in my profile pics.
Thanks for the kind words.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
i like the scuba pic.
I own and operate the biggest web site/forum for Scuba in the world. I can do that from anywhere in the world, so why not from Key Largo? Beats the heck out of Orlando, but there is very little in the way of wood here.

My wife hates it haha she thinks its too high she wants the bottom to be closer to the floor.
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Build it to her specifications and you'll be a happier man!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I own and operate the biggest web site/forum for Scuba in the world.
I've been on that website many times in the past...especially when I was in dive school.... I went to International Diving Institute in Sc... Amazing what kind of people you talk to....

Well thanks for the insight everyone i'm learning a lot so far! Lets do it all again tomorrow...night all...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That bed is looking good. I made one a few years back. Just remember, log furniture is forgiving, so anyway it is layed out or put together, it will still look good! I love building log furniture!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks travico... I'm really enjoying this new hobby... I plan on building many things out of the left over cedar..tables , chairs and gun/bow racks... Can't wait!

If anyone cares to answer... How do I keep the joints from squeaking once everything is together?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't think you will ever get all the SQUEAKS out. Good glue joints, with deep tenons help. If it squeaks too bad, you might can spray a little oil in the joint or melt wax, but still, I think it will be hard to stop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts