Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'd like some design advice for a loft bed. I'll post pictures from my phone in the next message. I got the basic idea from some pictures on the internet. The design was modified for a toddler size mattress and to use poplar and not construction grade 2x4's. For the most part I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The main issue I have is the left/right stability. Without the platform the bed is a little shaky left and right. In the beds current position it's rock solid. But, if I move it away from the wall on the left, it can rock a bit to the left. I'm going to be making another loft for my son. I'd like to change the design a bit so that the head does not have to be pushed up against a wall. But, I don't know what to change. The current design can be broken down and moved, which is a requirement. The platform and stairs detach form the main loft, and the front and back rails are attached to the left and right sides with bed bolts. I want to stiffen the frame.

I can post the drawings also if they would be helpful to anyone. It's made from 4/4 poplar.

Thanks

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
What kind of joint should I use for the L?
Depending on your skills and tooling, you could use a lock miter router bit.

You could use glue and a simple rabbet.

You could use glue and a splined rabbet.

You could use glue and a mortise (long groove), and a machined tenon (long).

You could use glue and a keyed miter.

You could use glue and dowels.

Since you are painting, you could just use a glued butt joint and drive screws, countersunk and filled.

·
where's my table saw?
28,946 Posts
here's some additional ideas

To reinforce the entire structure, put another "loft" on the right side of the steps.
Hinge the lid on the top of the steps for a toy box.
Make one or all of the steps into drawers for storage.
Join the 1 x 4 legs into an "L' with simple butt joints, glue and screws.

Question, what is the purpose of the cavity or opening under the lofts ... for a desk? ....just space to play?....it seems wasted if not used.

It seem that the distance from the top of the steps is a bit too much for an easy entry/exit to the top bunk. Just some thoughts.... :blink:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...it seems wasted
:laughing::laughing::laughing: That picture was taken right after set up. It is currently stuffed with toys. The platform has a shelf for storage. The steps height seems okay. The kids have no problem climbing in and out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm going to try my hand at tongue and dado for the L in the next version. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts