Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I always enjoy the browsing the build threads so I thought it was time to give back a little bit. Plus, I finally downloaded all the pictures from the camera:laughing:.

My daughter is getting a little older and wanted a new bed and she got real excited about a bunk bed. We didn't want to waste the space on the bottom on a bed that wouldn't be used so I came up with a loft design. I got the basic idea from ana white website, but changed the dimensions, to hit a toddler mattress, and joinery. The website called for pocket screws but mortise and tenons seemed like a better choice.

The wood choice was pretty easy. Poplar is by and far the cheapest lumber around here. This was my first trip to a real lumber yard. Started the project with about 50 bf. It would probably have been enough but I made a couple mis-cuts :thumbdown: towards the end and ended up buying a couple boards from lowes.

Picnic table Table Furniture Wood Bench

All the boards were crosscut to rough lengths with a hand saw and ripped on the table saw.

The mortises were made with the plunge router and guide fence. It was the first time make these joints. They turned out okay. I think a better, more precise, guide would greatly enhance the routers function.
Workbench Toolroom Tool Machine tool Table

I made a total of 24 mortise for the bed. Unfortunately the plans only called for 22. :laughing:. Some tenon cut-offs and glue fixed up the mistake.

The tenons were cut on a table saw with a dado blade. The setup of the dado took the longest time, about 2 hours. It was a cheap dado set from home depot. While they got the job done I don't think I would recommend the set.

Tile Wall Wood Floor Flooring

The short sides of the tenon were cut with a dove tail saw. To match the round mortise end a rasp was used to round over the tenons.

Table Wood Floor Roof Hardwood

This is the first real mortise tenon joint I've ever made. Turned out okay. :shifty:

One thing that didn't turn out good on all the joints, was the shoulder alignment. Hand sawing the short cheeks created some uneven shoulders. It took a lot of work to fix the uneven shoulders. A few of them even needed filer. :no:.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's going to be painted white to match a cabinet in her room.

Making the ends with the same process as the sides.

Room Window House Building Floor

This is the end that got the extra mortises. After the repair job and some paint I can't even tell.

Furniture Shelf Room Footwear Shelving

Starting the assembly upside down

Floor Furniture Room Wood Table

It's all together. It was a good thing that the family was out of town because the garage was a total wreck while the bed was being built.

Furniture Bunk bed Bed Room Shelf

I had plans made up until this point. The rest was just winged. More pictures to follow tomorrow.

·
where's my table saw?
31,223 Posts
nice project!

How will she get up there? I used a step ladder without the back legs when I was a teen. The ladder was resting on the wall and there was no safety rail. The tall side rails mean you must get up and in on one end...? Make certain it can't tip away as she's climbing up. No more than one person allowed on the bed at any time for safety reasons also. :yes:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the open side there is going to be a platform that goes up about halfway. Stairs go up the platform. The platform provides some resistances to racking. Positioning the opposite side from the platform against a wall prevents all racking. Considering this is the first piece of furniture that I have designed and built it turned okay. If I make another one there will be design changes.

I'm glad you look out for the safety of your children.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the platform that is going to be attached to the right side.

Furniture Table Wood Workbench Desk

And the stairs leading up. With quarter inch plywood on the side the little cub hole will make for a toy storage area.

Furniture Desk Table Shelf Wood

And the finished product after everything has been painted and installed.

Furniture Bunk bed Bed Product Shelf

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Looking good

The project is looking good. I like the clean lines in the design. I made a loft bed for my daughter a few years ago. What size mattress are you using. the area above looks a little small. I also agree that the legs do not appear very strong and could use a little beefing up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.