Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a pretty thrifty guy -- putting it nicely.

I've got about 20 line posts that need replacing - two-rail.

So when I found a place within two hours of my home that sold locust split rail line posts very inexpensively, I thought it would be worth giving them a call. Turns out they're already cured, but they haven't got any holes.

Drilling locust, from what I understand, can be pretty tough on drill bits. I'd have to set up some sort of jig, and find the right drill bit, much less a tool capable of taking the punishment that is cured locust. I'm wondering if a manual auger is worth consideration.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'm guessing someone has already done this, or learned from their attempts. Any suggestions as to how to approach creating holes for locust fence posts that have already cured would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: I should note - the posts I'm replacing are from the 1950's. Trying to find similar posts today is impossible. All that is available locally is milled pine made to look like split locust from Home Depot or Lowes. And that's an hour away. The mismatch would be glaringly obvious. Hence, my search for the real deal.

C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

I can see now this is pretty much beyond the scope of my budget for this project. Thanks for your reply though.

Chris

·
where's my table saw?
27,856 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts