Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a follow-up question to my past post on the Bedpost Glue-Up.

When creating the miters on the post (four faces, mitered to a 3" square, filler block down the center, would method would you use to strengthen the migher joint? The options are:

1) Lock Miter Bit (have heard this is a difficult bit to set up and use effectively, but makes a strong joint when done right)
2) Hardwood Spline
3) Biscuits

Which would be the easiest, while providing enought mechanical strength, knowing these are bedposts?

Thanks.
Hokieg

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you have the bits for a lock miter go that way. Do some test pieces first to get the details worked out. If you do not have the bits use a spline. Easy to cut on your table saw, cheap, and strong.

Gerry

·
What Wood I Do
291 Posts
I have a lock miter bit and it works great! When i bought it I also purchased a setup block made from UHMW and it has helped in the set up of the joint. You still have to take the time to fine tune the setup for each wood thickness but that is time well spent.
Each and Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work.

·
But No Glue...
11 Posts
Greg,
Do you mind if I quote you in my sig?

Example:

·
What Wood I Do
291 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts