Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tring to build a shadow box frame for my grand doughter and can't seem to be able to hold the boards to get a good joint. The reason that i'm trying to use the LOCK MITER bit is because she wants to put things that are heavy enough to require STRONG joints. Does anyone know of a jig that I can build to hold the wood firm enough to get a good joint? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance. Gerald.

·
Registered
164 Posts
can't quiet picture what type of miter you are doing,is it like a picture frame or verticle like a box and how thick is the stock?

·
Registered
23 Posts
can't quiet picture what type of miter you are doing,is it like a picture frame or verticle like a box and how thick is the stock?
Since he is considering using a lock miter, I'm pretty sure he is talking about the corner joints of the box, couldn't envision any possible way to consider a lock miter for a picture frame.

The most accurate cuts for lock miters will result from using a sled with a couple of toggle clamps to secure the stock. Use a backing block behind the stock to help prevent tear out, as these bits remove a lot of material.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes - I agree the answer is a sledge to clamp the workpiece down as it goes through the bit.

And just for johnep - it sounds like the box is going to be too small for a bit to get in there to put the screws in. Sorry man - sometimes pocket holes ain't the answer.

Tell us about your router table setup - do you have a miterslot running parellel to your fence?

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts