Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a problem. A friend gave me some logs but I can't find someone close to load them on my trailer and I can't mill them there. Here is my solution. I am goilg to pull my mill next to the log deck and my trailer next to the mill. I can build a ramp from mill to trailer. Then use the lift to load logs onto mill, up ramp. onto trailer. Seems simple enough. Anybody see any problems with this method?

·
where's my table saw?
29,932 Posts
Nope, it's actually pretty clever. Assuming the trailer is a flat bed, you are side loading and there's some stakes on the other ide to keep them from rolling off. o_O

Reactions: JIMDC49

·
where's my table saw?
29,932 Posts
The trailer IS a flatbed, I AM side loading, and I am NOT an idiot😁
I don't think "idiots", at least the one's I know, are that clever. They tend to end up in jail or worse, become politicians.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep,,,, sounds right to me. & I'd love to see a picture of your 'operation'?

FWIW,,,, Maybe give someone an idea.?
I have a old manual Woodmizer,,,, I heat my house with wood & can't stand to destroy a usable log.
& when I build stuff, I make sure everything is waist/ tailgate high. (my belly gets in the way when I bend!! ;>)

My truck bed is about 36" high, I so I built my dual axle utility trailers about the same. Even my log splitter beam is up 36".
No bending,,, everything is easy on & off.
To get the logs out of the woods, I built a 48" wide logging trailer out of a boat trailer frame & tongue. I narrowed the axle, then placed an electric winch up front and an adjustable BOOM in the middle. The hauler is 12' long.
When I drop a tree way back in the woods, I usually cut the logs 10' - 12' long.
I put the winch cable about 1/3 up the log, lift & pull, roll it up to the front on the boat rollers,,, Throw a ratchet strap around the front of the log & out of the woods I go.
When I get to the mill, I center the lift cable on the log, lift it up 4', & back it right up on the mill with my quad.
One of these days, if I live long enough, I'll build a 360* swing boom on the front of my sawmill trailer!
lol,,, been doing it this way for about 40 years now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These were turned into over 4000 bf of full size 2x4s, 2x6s and 2x8s 12' long. Lodgepole pine. I have a few leftover logs from the job that I will mill up in the near future. I have 23 10' x 12" - 20" Doug Fir logs given to me that I need to go pick up. I plan on building a solar kiln and a storage shed with those + some other projects. Cheap lumber gets my juices flowing.

Plant Automotive tire Logging Wood Tree
Wheel Tire Plant Wood Shade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good Operation! I didn't read that you had a hydro lift,,,, nice.

I did the same thing,, beach umbrella,,,, & now I'll have to see if I can add a dust exhaust extender like yours. ;>)

Thanks for the pics

Wish I could find a buyer for some of these piles,,,, I could use some mad money, to buy more toys! ;>)
(& 10 new blades)
Mostly tulip poplar, wild cherry, & ash.

Wheel Tire Building Automotive tire Wood

The green end 2 x 6s are from my monster black cherry tree that died. They should be worth a buck or two.?

Wood Brickwork Brick Beam Hardwood

I have about 6 of these stacks, & sure would like more room.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. I would like to have some black cherry.

I did the same thing,, beach umbrella,,,, & now I'll have to see if I can add a dust exhaust extender like yours. ;>)

Thanks for the pics

Wish I could find a buyer for some of these piles,,,, I could use some mad money, to buy more toys! ;>)
(& 10 new blades)

View attachment 432927

The green end 2 x 6s are from my monster black cherry tree that died. They should be worth a buck or two.?

View attachment 432929

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What would it cost me for a Black Cherry Board? Around 1" x 8" D. You could take a 12'+ and cut into 36" lengths. I can provide prepaid shipping label. I can also use good size scraps.

Thanks for the pics

(& 10 new blades)

View attachment 432927

View attachment 432929

·
Registered
14 Posts
What would it cost me for a Black Cherry Board? Around 1" x 8" D. You could take a 12'+ and cut into 36" lengths. I can provide prepaid shipping label. I can also use good size scraps.

Sorry for the late reply,,,, been up a tree,,,, & doing lots of pre-winter stuff.

I'll send you a PM,,, with my contact info,,,, & maybe you can give me some some of yours?
Like where your located?

As far as those red boards are concerned,,, & how much trouble shipping them would be,,, they're yours for the asking, just pay shipping. But, it just might be cheaper going on a ROAD TRIP!?

Oh Ya,,,, I'd really like to know where you buy your bands, & get them re-sharpened.?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the late reply,,,, been up a tree,,,, & doing lots of pre-winter stuff.

I'll send you a PM,,, with my contact info,,,, & maybe you can give me some some of yours?
Like where your located?

As far as those red boards are concerned,,, & how much trouble shipping them would be,,, they're yours for the asking, just pay shipping. But, it just might be cheaper going on a ROAD TRIP!?

Oh Ya,,,, I'd really like to know where you buy your bands, & get them re-sharpened.?

Like where your located?

This is where I bought my last 10 blades. Qty 10 – BANDSAW SAWMILL BLADES – WOOD-MIZER 13'2 (158) 1.25 X .042 x 7/8T | eBay . I got them in a week. Wood-Mizer told me 2 months and 1 month for sharpening. Wood-Mizer is cheap and good for sharpening if you have enough in stock to last the month. What red boards are you refering to? Manzanita? We can talk about that. I hope you are having a great Thanksgiving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts