Woodworking Talk banner

living room table- Top finish to high gloss and legs and stretchers satin?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  B Coll 
#1 ·
Is this common ? what do you think ot that? because I dont want the whole table to shine too much.

#3 ·
It's not uncommon to mix flat and satin, or high gloss surfaces in a room. Sometimes with different materials on a piece you get the same, glossy tile with wood, or metal, etc.

If you have the same wood I'm not certain it is going to give you anything noticeable unless you catch it in the right light. The only way to tell for certain is to run some test pieces and see how they look.

#5 ·
Actually it's most common when working with a gloss finish to have only the flat of the top to be glossy. The rest of the tables are at most semi-gloss. Even the molded edge of a table top is a lower sheen. What kind of wood is it? Traditionally only walnut or mahogany is finished with a glass like finish.

#12 ·
No problem. I would find a clean vertical break point to separate the sheens, but I am sure you already have that figured out. A reason that is often done is the higher the gloss, the more durable the finish. All finishes start off as high gloss. Flattening agents are added to reduce them to satin, flat, etc. Flattening agents will also soften the finish somewhat. I would shoot the entire table in high gloss. For the last coat (or two) mask off the top and spray the remainder with satin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.