Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nice work, and done much faster than any of my projects.

I'd expect those pieces to be handed on in your family for generations to come.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice set....That is pretty quick work. Were you able to work full time on the pieces, or only in your spare time?
I did it spare time. Took about 1 day a week. Except for finishing time. I did 4 coats on each top and 2 coats on the rest. Waited a day in between coats.

I was able to visually plan each step which was a time saver. Once I got into the shop I just went really fast. I bike about 300 miles a week and I thought about the designs and sequence on my rides (not much else to do on a 70 mile bike ride;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
That's sure is a nice set , well done and speedy too. I that sapele? I have some and love the way is machines...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's sure is a nice set , well done and speedy too. I that sapele? I have some and love the way is machines...
Yes, all Sapele. Best wood I have worked with. Easy to cut, no burning (though I did a lot by hand.) I did notice it tends to smoke while drilling into it. And I have a nice brad point set of drills bits that are are sharp.

The only thing abut Sapele is that it seems to have lots of small splinters until you sand it. Not a big deal but slightly annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts